Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

engine case for 2000gsx750f required. bike fell off stand!!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by goddie, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Hi,
    have a 2000 model gsx750 that likes to fall off its side stand when I stop to close my driveway gates, sloping driveway doesnt help, bugger has fallen off before and this time split the left side engine case, changed oil previous week so wasnt impressed watching new oil soak into the driveway. Anyway, would anyone know where I could get ASAP please? or weld it up maybe? cheers

2. Depends where it's cracked as to how repairable it would be. I've welded a bit of Aluminium/Magnesium/Titanium/Chrome moly/Stainless steel & plain old Steel in my time but I'm in Geelong. If the crack is anywhere near any bearings/machined parts you may have to factor in some machining costs. Other than that it's no real drama. Whatever you do don't go near an exhaust shop or that type of establishment cause in plain old english, their welding is shit. Sorry to all the exhaust fitters out there :LOL: :LOL:
  3. That'd be the alternator cover wouldn't it? Dunno what it's like on the GSXF but there's some complex bits behind there on some of 'em. A new one for my old Hornet set me back $80 or something/
  4. You have the Suzuki oil cooled engine?

1. If you can't find a used cover at the wreckers for your bike, maybe the early GSX-R750 part is the same and easier to find. Also consider GSX600F/early GSXR1100/early Bandit parts may also be interchangable.

2. You could try getting it welded but get the area clean for the weld to work - what have you got to lose?

3. Try some of that epoxy metal filler stuff. Degrease old cover thoroughly.

I'm assuming it's only the cover that's cracked and that everything underneath is all OK.
  5. all sorted!!

The crack on the engine casing went along the webbin and down thru a bolt hole, a local chap said it was weldable but didnt have the right equipment and I need the bike for work. Got a quote from one wreckers $88 then called Vic wreckers in heildleberg they wanted $125 (greedy buggers) got a new one thru Raceway Suzuki for $155. Kept the oldie though and might source someone to weld it up as a spare. thanks for feedback guys appreciate it.