Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

engine capacity and riding styles

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Monkey, Mar 8, 2006.

1. I've only ever ridden bikes smaller than 250cc, so I have absolutely no experience on anything heavier/more powerful. A 250 is light and has little power, so you can gun them around corners no worries. But what about a 600? Or a 750? Or a 1000?

Can people let me know from their experiences what adjustments they had to make to their riding style when first going up? How do you control a 1000 power when going around a corner at low speeds, such as a small roundabout?

2. Only use a slight amount of throttle rather than half the throttle?? :grin:
  3. Take it easy and get to know the bike before thrashing the shit out it. As you build confidence, give it a bit more, then more, then more and so on..... :)

Keeping the revs lower will remove the chance of overly hard acceleration. :wink:
  4. EVERYTHING slow and gentle until you get used to the savage difference in acceleration.
    The way the bikes handles under braking will be very different also.
    A Thou cc bike is much heavier than the 250, dont expect it to behave in the same way as the other bike. Some things will be better, some things will be worse.
    Be especially careful for a while in the wet, you'll either wheelspin or lose it if you accelerate too fast(IE: Use too much throttle)
    Stay off those white lines in the wet on the big bike in the rain also, thats just a disaster waiting to happen.
  5. if u get a 1000 after just stepping of your 250 i would suggest that you
    take it easy and get used to the feel of the 1000 beast and dont go to the spur and king lake etc etc
    just ride your normal route home and get used to the power
    before doing any serious cornering...
    when attempting to do a U turn use the clutch more and rear brake and take ur time...
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  6. 250 strokers are pretty light and can be thrown around easily. Mid sized 4 Strokers are very different beasts. The mid range is meaty and the extra weight means a slightly different cornering technique. You can't really justr throw the bike into a corner/roundabout but have to use the engines better low rpm torque to 'power' round corners.

The weight difference between today's 600-1000 bikes are negligeble.
  7. You'll be fine if you're not a drongo with the throttle.
  8. Yep too much right wrist and away you go, down the road, on ur arse.

Baby steps. You can go from a 250 to a superbike but you must have self control and commonsense.

I'd be riding an FZ1 or a Hayabusa except for the $$$$'s
  9. Monkey, i've recently upgraded from a 250 to 600, and I am just giving myself time to get used to it. slow and steady so far and i have had no probs. It is taking me a bit to get used to the weight, but getting used to the power so far has been fine. I started off with little trips around town, then have progressed to my favourite easy corners, then a weekend trip and am working myself up to something harder soon. oh, and i did an advanced cornering course, brush up on the technique and all that... seems to be working out just fine for me....
  10. It's all about adapting to change. I remember my VTR 250 used to frighten me when i first opened the throttle! :LOL:
    Nowdays, the 600 just makes me smile at WOT. :grin:

Something you will simply get used to. :wink:
  11. Confidence comes with experience.

Take it easy for a while until you feel comforatble with the extra power. You'll soon find that you'll adjust your riding style to yur new bike.

Me personally, I stepped up. I went from a 250 to a 750 and then onto the 1000.

Enjoy the extra power and ride within your limits.
  12. There are 1000cc bikes and there are 1000cc bikes too remember.

Something like a VTR1000F with about 100ps and a user friendly power delivery is a lot less intimidating than something like a ZX12-R with about 160ps.

If people are looking at skipping 600's and going straight from a 250 to a big bike then I'd suggest avoiding such power beasties as the Hayabusa, the ZX12-R, the new Gixxer thou and similar.

There are plenty of thou bikes out there that can be ridden within feeling right out of your depth :)
  13. K5 Gixxer 600 wet weight = 193kgs BHP = 104 ps
    K5 Gixxer 750 wet weight = 197kgs BHP = 120ps
    K5 Gixxer 1000 wet weight = 198kgs BHP = 154.3ps

as tested @ Masterbike 2005. :wink:
  14. If you think and act "Smooth" all will be well.

Reading a bit of the Twistof the Wrist I & II by Keith Code should also give you an idea of the other stuff you need to think about.