Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

engine breaking

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by tluong, Jan 22, 2007.

1. hey guys...i noticed that when im approaching the red lights and i let go of the throttle...i am slowed down considerably. yes i am a noob. i pull in the clutch to let it roll a bit further. would anyone know if engine breaking is bad or any of my actions is bad? cheers.

2. Ok, what you are experiencing is engine braking. It is your friend, and you need to learn how to use it to your advantage. Going down through the gears while slowing, either for a set of lights, an intersection or just a corner, greatly assists your brakes in slowing you and your bike.....
  3. If you search for engine braking you'll find alot of good stuff.

But basically, without fuel pumped into the engine, the bike draws the kinetic energy from your motion, thus slowing you down. The higher the revvs, the more energy absorbed, so the more engine drag you have. Bikes have alot more hardcore engine braking than cars.

It is very helpful in slowing you down, and in normal riding you can get away with using little brakes because of it. Its especially good for slowing you when going down steep hills. As you're a learner you're probably on a 250, which has even greater engine braking as it has to revv higher to get anywhere.

Run a search though as I know I've explained it better than that somewhere.. As I'm sure alot of others have.

Just try to use engine braking/shifting smoothly so you're not jerking around.. errr search for 'blipping' as well to help you with that.

When you're slowing down at reds, I usually shift down to second, then when crawling along I use the rear brake to stop, then shift down. But thats as my 1st gear is really slow.
  4. Couple of quick ones:

1. Engine braking is your friend, learn to do it well and use it.

2. Going down too far too fast can cause the back wheel to lock up and slide. Be aware of that, try to avoid it - and if it happens, remember that pulling in the clutch will stop the skid (but you'll also stop slowing down, so use some front brake).

3. Cars don't see a brake light when you're using engine braking, so if you're going to slow down a lot using it it's often useful to touch the brakes as well so following vehicles know you're slowing down.

4. Please spell it right: 'engine braking' is using the engine to slow down, and is a good thing; 'engine breaking' is never a good thing. ;)
  5. What you described is engine braking. :)

Engine breaking on the other hand requires continuous high revs after removing the oil. :p :grin:
  6. my bikes still doing it's bizarro, stop for no reason thing, which everyone here determined is prob the fuel tap... anyways, yesterday, i got sick of it happening by about the 8th time, and thoguht, no worries, i'll just let her jump start herself, so geared back to second and pop the clutch. now on a wet road, did i nearly go ass over tit. not only did she lock i got bad wobbles

*note to self*
    check speed b4 gearing down and popping clutch
  7. It doesn't require that much if you have a Suzuki.

8. :rofl: i know its wrong to :LOL: but i am looking more to a kawa upgrad but starting to think honda as well
  9. Use it whenever slowing down to a stop. As long as your not changing down too soon,
    its not going to harm you or the bike.

As one gets the hang of it, ya may start blipping the throttle as well.
  10. Engine braking is simply decellerating.

Roll the throttle off and the engine will slow the bike/car/vehicle down.

You can change down gears as you slow this way, which is a good idea, but make sure you release the clutch slowly to allow the engine to spool up to the appropriate revs for your speed.

As you get used to it, you can dial in some throttle and speed up the clutch release.

Then you can clutch in, gear down, blip and release almost all at the same time... that's waaaay cool... :)

THEEEEN, you can do all the above, but be hard on the front brakes at the same time... that's even cooler... and a really handy trick!

The reason for gearing down is so that you're at the appropriate gear for your speed, JUST IN CASE you need to get going in a hurry again... AND/or to be in first gear by the time you come to a stop. Bike gear boxes generally like to be rolling when changing gears.

Good luck with it.
  11. Eventually becomes habit eh :grin: :cool:
  12. JJ's 2 cents.

Engine braking is OK, but (always a but!!) It relies on the back wheel to work, as you brake (esp if using front brake as well) the weight transfers to the front, "lightening" the wheel, increasing risk of lockup.

So yeah, if you're wanting to gradually decelerate as you, say, approach the lights, then go for it.

But don't rely on it.

As a far, far, more experienced and knowledgeable rider than I, (& I guess the vast majority here) has told me during advanced, cornering and braking courses........

"The Engine's primary function is to make you GO!, the Brakes primary function is to STOP you"

"you don't use the brakes to make you go, so why use the engine to stop you?"

Wise words from a professional, who am I to argue?
  13. That's why I ride Kawasakis. :wink:

I had a suzuki once but had a problem with the engine breaking. :(

Though I should add that it was old, and that bike in the drive was greatly responsible for me getting into bikes in the 1st place. Although genetics says I had no choice in the matter anyway. :)
  14. Engine braking is great, you can use ii aggresively (and/or some back brake) to back her into a corner :D

I like to call it 'simple ABS'

Using the back brake while in gear with the clutch engaged, or engine braking juuust higher than the traction limit - causes the rear wheel to etch/judder.

Can be a bad thing (wet weather, huge lean, unexpected)
    and Can be a good thing (motarding around, backing it in, posing for video cameras, etc.)

Ofcourse, I doubt Simple ABS is good for the chain and sprockets.
  15. And just like braking --> Don't do it mid-corner.

It will unsettle the bike just the same.
  16. i used engine braking on low speed (gear 2) 1-4 thousands before major service. after few thousands i noticed 'engine change'. after that, i didnt dare to do that anymore (just slap on the clutch + brake).
  17. I have been using engine breaking alot, I like the feeling and the sound etc but have been caught out finding neutral (total noob) and suddenly I have to quickly try and pull my bike up when everything has suddenly changed. It also didn't help that I wasn't ready with the brakes. :oops:

I think it's a good technique to learn but I personally now started to not rely on engine braking so much. :roll:
  18. you should always be ready for the brakes!
  19. yeah I wasn't covering them. :shock: