Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Engaging 1st gear

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Silver-Arrowz, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Hey guys,

I'm still a noob and having some issues engaging 1st gear. When I come to a stop at a long traffic light switch my bike into neutral to give my left hand a rest. But there are times when I try to engage 1st gear when the light goes green and the neutral light switches off but then comes back on then I take my foot of the peg. It's like it's not engaging first gear anymore.

I've tried revving the engine before engaging first gear, rolling the bike back and forth but still no luck. Should I just keep my foot on the gear peg, engage clutch and hope it picks it up?

The bike in question is a 2008 RS125.

2. Sounds to me like you are not putting enough pressure on the gear lever when you are selecting first gear.

Don't leave it to the last second before the light changes before you click it into first. You shouldn't need to rev the bike to get it onto gear either.

Practice going from neutral to first and back again, slightly release the clutch to the "bite" point to ensure it has actually gone into first, while leaving your foot on the rear brake.
  3. Yeah that's what I thought too but I've given it a good hard click and it still won't engage.
  4. click it up to second and back down to first again with a solid hit.
  5. This sounds most likely, your clutch could also not be adjusted correctly.
  6. I've had a similar prob since my last service, I've found letting out the clutch briefly, back in and then it slips into first easily.
  7. Try double clutching? Ie, pull the lever in, release, then do it again?
    My old Alfa i had to do that for every single gear change... as standard. Was pretty annoying :p. (1974 2000(cc) GTV Spyder Shitbox)
  8. Yeah I've tried this and no luck either.

I'll give the double clutching theory a go. Hopefully it does the trick. I'll also try adjusting the clutch lever when I have time. It's just a little annoying because yesterday I had to take off from 2nd gear and up a hill... lots of sputtering and clutch slipping later it somehow managed to get up there.
  9. ..I sometimes have to do this too!!...:-s
  10. it happens, what you need to do is release your clutch then pull it back in and drop it into first.
  11. Something else that might help is releasing the clutch to the bite point whilst simultaneously applying pressure to the gear pedal. I've used this technique on recalcitrant BMW boxes before and it seems to get the dogs seated properly.
  12. Yeah I think I did that by accident while trying to get my butt moving and it worked. But would this damage the gearbox in anyway?
  13. Shouldn't do. Not if you do what I meant anyway. To clarify, you pull the clutch and step the box into first as normal but maintain pressure on the lever whilst releasing the clutch to biting point. On my bikes, when I've done this, I've felt a distinct further movement in the lever as the gear has gone fully home. No nasty noises or anything, just the feeling of everything settling into place properly.

I'm certainly not talking about slamming it in with everything spinning :shock:.
  14. So, you knock it down to 1st and then slip the clutch and it hits back into neutral?

Sounds like you own a Hyosung.

My trick used to be to knock it down hard into 1st, keep my left foot biting down on the gear lever and let the clutch out easy to the friction point, if it works you should feel it engage properly when you meet that point.

Also, keep a couple of fingers on your front brake or you'll wander into the intersection :D
  15. I had this issue with my Spada (it happened occasionally). Most of the time giving it a bit of a rev while it was stuck in neutral would allow it to engage. Never tried to double clutching though. Take it somewhere quiet and test it out.
  16. Hmmm... sort of the same thing is happening to me... but a little worse!

I'll be in a higher gear, travelling along at speed, say, 60 - 80 k's. I'll be accelerating, so from 3rd-5th gears... I then try to go up a gear and it goes to FAKE FREAKING NEUTRAL! WTF!?!? How the hell do I stop this? It doesn't happen all the time, but it's happening like 2-3 times a week atm? It NEVER used to happen - he's been mine for almost 4 years now.

Any advice?
  17. Many (most?) false neutral problems are technique related, or, at least, can be avoided by practice and technique. As you've had the bike a while, this seems unlikely but it's worth asking; have you started wearing different boots recently? Suffered a leg/foot injury? Bought a BMW without noticing? Or changed your riding stance? Anything like that?

If not, part of your gear selector mechanism may now be excessively worn and isn't shifting the dogs across as far as it should every time. That would be a pain because much of it is likely to need the cases splitting to replace it.

18. OMFG!!! I am eating mongolian beef with rice and I just farking spat half a mouthful out due to your BMW comment! :rofl: :rofl:

I have not changed anything recently... Not boots, legs and foots are fine, and no, unfortunately I did not buy a BMW without noticing.

How much would it cost to replace, in that case? It seems likely, I just didn't want to admit it... He HAS now done over 88,888 k's... :(
  19. Sorry, can't help with a cost estimate, or even a better diagnosis than "maybe". Maybe someone more familiar with your specific bike can advise. What is it BTW? I've no doubt it's public knowledge, but I'm old so I forget things and fart a lot.
  20. +1 double clutch.