Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

enfield fuel tank vid

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by steltzer, Jun 18, 2011.

1. http://youtu.be/UsTIMxeO_ng

awesome skills in the enfield factory
  2. very skillfull but probs gets paid crap
  3. f@ck me dead thats is pure AWSOMENESS, I cant imagine anyone that could even do that.
  4. awesome! that dude is a mental robot!
  5. How else do you think pin striping used to get done?

The sobering thought is that in India a craftsman with obvious skill, is cheaper than a sticker.
  6. #7 kneedragon, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Technicians in the US have been watching this and and other footage from the Enfield engine shop, and are now trying to prepare camshafts the Indian way to save money.
  7. You can see the guide for the main thick line... but the pinstripe is done by eye, that's incredible ! I imagine it's the only job he's had, regardless if that's the case the man has dedication.
  8. I don't get it it's just a trade...

Or are we so divorced from actual work that a pin striper is "Incredible"???
  9. True that. One of the American hotrod / pimp my ride shows had a guy doing pretty much the same stuff. I can faintly remember asking about pinstripe work on trucks when I was young - it was quite common - and having it described to me. The attitude back then was that a good one was worth keeping the number of - like a good tailor or dressmaker. It was just a trade.
  10. I was thinking the same thing. It's wonderful to watch any craftsman at work, but this is nothing particularly unusual.

Still pleasant to watch though, almost relaxing, if it weren't for the icy pandemonium of a factory surrounding him.
  11. Hmmm, I dunno you guys.... He makes it look pretty easy because he does it all day long, but (comming from someone who struggles to get those lines correct with vinyl stripe!), I can appreciate the degree of difficulty in what he achieves.

I'm knocked out by the way he can get the paint to flow so evenly off the brush, the whole way, those strokes are huge! And when he stops mid line, dips the brush and picks it up again without a trace.... bloody incredible! I doubt you would get a machine that could stripe that accurately with a brush.

I think pin striping is an artform and when I was a kid growing up in the 60's all the trucks were painted up beautifully with fancy pinstriping as part of their signage. India, SE Asia and Sth America still have lots of it on their trucks and busses, (though not so much these days) and its beautifull!, absolutely superfluous, but a joy to behold. But its a dying art and that guy is bloody good at it!
  12. I think the 'wonder' value comes from it being all done by hand.
    A lot of paintwork is done by machinery or by much different, and less skilled methods.

I've seen a video of the Winnebago factory and all the paintwork there is done by stencils and airbrushes. It wouldn't take too long to train up someone new to do that job [Usually the idea behind. What he's doing is skilled and takes time to perfect, and he does it so effortlessly.
  13. That's friggin incredible.
  14. yeah that was a good vid, but (and i'm not sure why) i kept waiting for him to turn around and tell that guy to shut the hell up, yelling seinfeld lines like "NO TANK FOR YOU !!!" and "YOU ARE A VERY BAD MAN!!!"
  15. I certainly don't deny that he's skilled and, as I said, it's wonderful to watch a skilled craftsman at work. But go back half a century in the West and you'd have little trouble finding such skill, in the context of whatever trade, in any town. It's getting harder these days to find it in a manual trade - people are effective, but they're not gracefully skilled. So stigger's question - "Or are we so divorced from actual work" - is a sad and striking point. Of course, some of the roots of the loss of this are explored in Pirsig's over-rated but very good book, when he recounts experiences of taking his bike to mechanical shops...in the early 1960s.

Perhaps what strikes people so much is the gracefulness with which he does it, which is perhaps a consequence of the effortlessness (not saying it's easy, effortlessness = skill). And that's why the noise and talking are so incongruous and aggravating (and you can see his concentration tested). But if people want, I've got plenty of friends and family - visual artists, in one case a calligrapher - and I'll charge you a dollar a piece to be wowed by the incredible craft of the human hand. PM me and roll up, roll up!
  16. Can you caligrapher friend do pinstripes? I'lll bring the Beesa tank with me!
  17. He's hard to get a hold of these days - he's behind the walls of a seminary - but I was thinking of having him do some art on my tank sometime....
  18. I was pretty impressed as well. Looked at a few of the other Enfield vids while I was in You Tube. Over the years I've procrastinated about buying one as a weekender, couldnt imagine peak hour freeway commuting on one of these things. Anyone out there own one of these?
  19. #20 Roarin, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Great skills. Graceful to watch. I too lament the passing of good old fashioned skill and quality workmanship. It's unfortunate that cheap imports are killing genuine skills. Can't compete with robots/automated production lines though. Except in countries where labour is exceptionally cheap -in relation to more affluent countries that is.

I quite liked this vid for some reason.
    Dunno why he's wearing a helmet though. He he he he he.