Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Enertia Electirc Bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by matti-san, Jul 16, 2007.

1. OK 3 hour charge, range of 70km, top speed more than 80kmh. Looks pretty good for a scoot and reckon that if the price is right this might be a beauty to try and reduce traffic in the inner city. Would be cool for nicking up to the shops etc but at USD$12K a bit exy.

http://www.enertiabike.com/

[​IMG]

2. 3 hour charging for 1 hours riding?!!? To short of riding time for me, its a 30 min trip to uni each day, and theres no place for me to charge it there, so i might be able to get home each day on it :S.

3. Yeah 12k is way to pricey - be very hard to convince someone that an electric bike is a better option than a cheap car. And virtually impossible to convince a rider it's a better option than a "real" bike. I'd also be wary of just what speed the 70km range was set at - often with these sorts of things it's done at an unrealistic 40kph or something.

4. Indeed, and also whether any incline was included in the 70km? A relatively modest hill will make a big difference to the current drawn, and therefore the range. I believe I detect another questionable product jumping on the 'green' bandwagon, which I must admit seems well populated with the gullible, so it just might sell, even at that silly price.

5. I had a semi-scoop on this on Gizmag. http://gizmag.com/go/7588/

I think it's great to see this stuff finally making it to the market in a practical package that's not way out of reach pricewise. $12K US is premium pricing, sure, but you never need petrol, charging's cheap and it takes hardly any servicing, so the price would work itself out. The range would be more than enough for most peoples' daily commute on a single overnight charge... And b/c it's electric with no emissions you can ride it inside to a powerpoint at work if you need a top-up.

Call it the green bandwagon if you want, but I think it's brilliant to see alternatives to petrol becoming viable. Battery technology's improving in leaps and bounds, that range won't be a passion killer for too long, and there's already plenty of examples of bloody fast electric bikes out there to prove they can be fun to ride as well. 100% torque from 0 rpm... They're gonna be a blast.

They raced the first electric car on the weekend, it won't be long until they have an electric bike racing series, and then we'll see some real quick sportsbike developments. Petrol's safe for the moment, but this is great progress in my books.

6. I couldn't agree more, I just question whether this actually is viable yet, or just a toy for well heeled early adopters.

7. It seems that if you want to sell poorly performing, uneconomical product at a premium price, the trick is to call it 'green' - and some sucker will buy it.

This thing is a prime example of that philosophy. For heaven's sakes, you're getting equivalent of a postie bike, at a price that would buy a whole bloody fleet of them! Don't talk to me about being green, as far as I'm concerned until you produce something competitive with what's already on the market you have no business being in the market.

By the way, is that a chain that I see? Interesting they would go for this solution rather than driving the wheel directly the way most electric vehicles tend to do. So much for minimal maintenance then?

8. Yep I agree with both of you, remember that it takes cashed up early adopters for just about any new technology to take off. Look at mobile phones, colour TV, DVDs etc etc they were all poohed poohed at the start because they were rich men's toys. Well guess what we all have at least one now!

Hey it's start and that is a good thing.

9. Not too sure on that. Sure charging's only going to cost around 45 cents - but then you're only going to get 70 (or a lot less) out of that. Let's be realistic (and possibly optimistic) and say it's good for 50km - that's 90 cents per 100km or the equivalent of 0.6l/100km. Now you can buy a cheap 125cc bike or scoot for around 2-3k Australian which should only use around 2l/100km at most. So you'd be saving 2 cents a km on fuel - but you're paying an extra A$12,000 for the bike - ignoring service costs for a moment you'd have to ride for 600,000kms to break even :shock:. Obviously a petrol bike needs servicing but then you'd have to weigh the cost of that against the fact that the electric bikes batteries are only going to have a finite life - and would likely be expensive to replace (plus at some point the electric motor would need to be overhauled).

10. Yes, but all of them offered genuinely new or at least seriously expanded capabilities. Electric bikes on the other hand do not. From the user's point of view they offer nothing new - they offer precisely the same capability as the existing vehicles, they just use different source of power. As such, they MUST be competitive on the basis of price/performance, if they are to gain any kind of acceptance.

And as for all the gizmos you mentioned, I didn't pooh-pooh them, exactly, but I didn't jump on them either - I just waited until they dropped to acceptable prices.

11. The main issue with electric vehicles is the life of the batteries.

If you have to replace the batteries every 5 years or so (which is a pretty good run out of them actually) then the amount of waste created pretty much makes the whole deal pointless.

Fuel cell vehicles are a better long term solution IMO.

12. Both. It's definitely practical for some use cases, and early adopters help finance the development of further refinements which make it suitable for a progressively broader range of applications and wider audiences. It's the same with any emerging technology. [edit: matti-san beat me to this ]

Yeah ... for the moment. At least a few years. But sooner or later all road bikes are going to be electric (or at least not petrol combustion powered), and it might be sooner than you think :) I've been tracking Peak Oil for about five years now and I have every confidence the bike I buy in 2015 will be electric.

http://www.teslamotors.com are making some electric cars now with amazing performance and exhorbitant prices. These too are for the early adopters, whose money will fund development of the machines we'll end up driving to the shops. If these electric cars are anything to go on, hopefully we won't have to sacrifice too much performance when the oil runs out.

That's assuming society holds together and we've all still got electricity, but that's beyond the scope of this discussion really.