Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

End of two strokes

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Vertical C, Nov 6, 2011.

1. The two strokes in the 125s just ran their last lap. The last two strokes ever...just wanted to say thanks for the memories.

2. never ridden one but im keen to!

watched the race, pretty good one!
  3. Will never forget the sound of the 500s screaming down the Phillip Is straight. The 1000s sound good but the two strokes just sound more like real race bikes. They sound like they are so on the edge and about to explode.
  4. haha i bet, something i never got to hear!
  5. This makes me sad, why did they stop making 2 stroke street bikes over 125cc? No consumer demand? EPA regulations?
  6. i have an nsr150sp. love it! 2 strokes til i die!
  7. Living the dream lemontree

I think I want to upgrade to a RS250 now...
  8. Wasnt it a combo of no demand and high maintenance? Read something about it the other day.... something to do with homolgation meant that the bikes they were building to gain entry into the sport were becoming way too expensive, labour intensive, and by nature the big ones were a bastard to ride.
  9. Emissions regulations have killed the 2 strokes.

2Ts have been very popular in small bikes and scooters because they are cheap to make, compact and easy to maintain compared to a similar-output 4T. If you have ever been to SE Asia, you'll understand.

Orbital Direct Injection and other technologies were supposed to keep 2Ts viable, but so far, I don't think anyone has come up with a solution that can get a 2T Euro V certified.

I don't think I'll ever sell my RS125.
  10. It was mostly regulation that killed them, they just throw out too much oil and fuel out the tailpipe. When you have the blow and suck on the same stroke it's never going to be good. That killed the 500s because the manufacturers wanted to use their R and D money for four strokes in moto gp so they allowed four strokes in and gave them a displacement advantage. It is better for riders as we get better road bikes now.

Four strokes wouldn't have come out on top though had they not been given the rules advantage.

By the way Bimota tried to make a clean two stroke for the street in the v-due but it was very unreliable and almost killed the company. Two strokes are also apparently making a comeback on the motocross track as well as the four strokes there are needing as much maintenance as a two stroke so people are choosing a two stroke as they are easy to work on.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Two strokes are popular among amateur motocross riders, but Yamaha are the only Jap company who still makes them so I hope their R&D guys (and KTM's) pull their heads out of their asses and start working on direct fuel injection two stroke engines ie. the same cleaner burning, fuel efficient engines that snowmobiles and outboard motors have had for YEARS.
  12. Two strokes had been taken about as far as you can go technology wise. For the time anyway.
    The fours were a much easier bike to ride and the way the track records tumbled proved that.
    The two strokes were fast but it took a real rider to make on dance. And a real man to stay on one for any length of time.
    I take a twobie MX out for a run now and I am totally stuffed in three laps. I feel rooted after one lap. But my all time fav dirty is the KTM200. I love it in the bush and it's a lot less tiring than my old 525 to ride.
    Hopefully as long as we have freestyle we will still have two stroke MXers
  13. The track times tumbled because of double the displacement as well.

You are right it was a real riders championship, it was the right thing to do though as the tech does come down.
  14. someone (not sure if bimota or a third party company) made a fix for the v-due... better late than never.