Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Emotions and your Bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jphanna, Jun 24, 2010.

1. There are people who buy a car or bike, to commute. A person who buys a white base model sedan corolla is unlikely to be passionate about their machinery, unless it’s a daily driver, and they have a Hot Monaro/HSV/GT Falcon etc in the garage…

A person who buys a MBike may do it for similar reasons. It may be a basic bike to commute daily, a sports bike to fang on a weekend on twisty bits, or a cruiser to plod along, and take in the scenery. There may be other categories but im a newbie so add them if u want to.

One thing I have found to be consistent in a few forums, and talking to MBike people at work etc, is the stepping stone mentality. Whatever bike you have, is a stepping stone to a bigger, better, faster, flashier machine in a little while. There is nothing wrong with that if you can afford it, and are driven to get the best you can, but have you been hooked on a bike…that you just cant let go of?

I am definitely emotional about my Eliminator. No matter what I get later…that will be a keeper.

Is there one bike, you have become ‘emotionally’ hooked to, and wont let it go, or regret letting go, if you did?
  2. Pretty much every bike is hard to let go of. Unless it's a hyo ;) ... joke :-s
  3. ditto. particularly when the new owner annihilates your old baby within the first 2 months of ownership :facepalm: (will someone let egiste know he may be gone from NR, but not forgotten ;) )
  4. Im pretty attached to my cruiser regardless of all its drawbacks (they're numerous) and I definitely plan on keeping it.

My other bike has always been temporary, not always an upgrade either but sometimes just for a change.
  5. Only up to a certain point.

Eventualy you get to a certain age in life where you start "stepping down" again. I'm still as great an enthusiast as I ever was - probably more so as over the last 3-4 years I have returned to riding daily, but I now enjoy the benefits of smaller less powerful machinery..

There's sort of a reverse snob factor in there too - I no longer need to prove myself by having the fastest and the quickest thing on two wheels.
  6. I bought my Bonnie Brand new in 1968 and rode it for 17 years, Forced to sell it, Divorce, other wise I would still have it,
    Bought my Blackbird in June 2008, I have just put up 40,000 klms on it, I will ride this Bike till I cant ride any more, in about 20 years time, I love my Blackbird,
  7. Yeah agree with all of above. having been to 1127 I now desire smaller capacities.

Also, I miss all of my past bikes. If I had a Honda I might not miss that when I got rid of it.
  8. yep agree with others stepping down to smaller capacity machine, i think when you are learning the bike helps ones ability as you get better you just tend to ride faster cos both yourself and bike allow it, till the point when it's either sell up or start walking ](*,)

Yep i am dropping back to something smaller and hopefully slower, will miss the thou though :(
  9. I read the title as "emoticons for your bike" and thought that's a pretty cool idea. However now I'm slightly disappointed.

I like bikes with character and I find that comes with age.
  10. I love my ZZR250... it has such an attachment 'cos it's my 1st bike. I learned to ride on it, passed my P's on it.. dropped it!!... :roll:... done all my 1st bike stuff on it!!

I have the 600 all ready to go.. but I guess I feel safe (or as safe I can) on the 250.

I think I will miss it...maybe only until I get used to the 600 8-[
  11. :worthlesspics:
  12. I'm not sentimental at all about my bikes. I don't name them, bling them or spend endless hours cleaning them. Other than making sure they are meticulously serviced and never skimping by running on worn tyres, they are just metal and plastic to me.

I've a preference for new bikes just because in general, they tend to handle, brake and accelerate better than the bikes they replace.

13. :bannanabutt:

14. I agree. I've peaked and reverted back to the 80s. I have a strong attachment to my CBs, and have 2 900s and an 1100. I know these bikes intimately (oooh vicar!), having stripped 2 of them completely to rebuild, and I have *no* desire to ride anything covered in plastic. My bikes go as fast as I need, and you can just about fix anything with either a 10 or 12 mm socket. My current project is an experiment in updating the handling of one whilst maintaining the essence of the original. Nothing that wasn't done 'in the day', just more options available now.

15. Well with my second bike purchase, I appear to have confirmed that I definitely have a thing for naked Italians... 8-[

Motorcycles have been a highly emotional thing for me right from the get-go. Riding was something I coveted for years, waiting for the support and participation of a couple of mates to go get my licence - when it became apparent that support was never going to eventuate, I went out and did it alone.

After finding my bike (my beautiful little Ducati) and bringing her home, I then met incredibly strong resistance from my family (so much so that I actually had some inheritance from my grandparents denied to me), but that wasn't enough to sway my course either.

Neither was having a friend lose his leg in a horrible accident on his bike (car ran a red light and cleaned him up) within a week of me getting my own bike.

I have a passion and engagement with motorcycles that I've never really got from anything else. I never took any joy in driving cars, but I love riding, even just popping down to shops is a pleasure to me.

I had a girlfriend break-up with me a few weeks back, and I sold my little Ducati around the same time, and I think I may well have actually taken the loss of the bike harder.

So I absolutely see riding as an emotional thing.
  16. My first 2 bikes, GN250 and GR650 were just necessary evils until I could afford a bike I really wanted. Don't get me wrong, I had fun on them, and the GR650 did a lot of K's before it died. But they weren't what I really wanted.

I loved my 3rd bike, GSX600F, and only bought the B12 because my pillion (son) was getting to big for the little 600. I was so desparate to keep it that I tried to convince my wife that it would be the perfect bike for her. When that didn't work I sold it to my sister. But she traded it for a VTR1000, biatch.

I've had the B12 for 8 years now and even though I've test ridden dozens of other bikes in that time that were more comfortable, or faster, or lighter, or better looking none of them made me want to sell the B12. I think I'll be keeping it until either it or I fall apart.

My wife started with a CD250U which she sort of liked but then she rode the Monster 750, and that was the end of that. She's had the M750 for comming up 8 years and other than a brief moment when she thought a F800ST would be the go, she has no intention at all of EVER selling the monster. The only way she will buy another bike is if we could afford to keep the monster as well.
  17. Firestorm or SP1/2? Either way, smart move!

Motorcycles tend to be a want rather than a need, thus you're more likely to buy a bike that really grabs you, rather than a toyota camry because it's cheap to run or whatever.

Even if you commute every day, ride you bike everywhere & don't have a car, you are likely to have the bike you want, rather than, say, a GS500.

With the bigger/better/faster thing, it's ingrained very early on because of our graduated licensing system. Not everybody is like that though, I know plenty of riders who are happy with old bikes, just not generally LAMS/Learner bikes though.
  18. Firestorm. She loves it, it's her second one. She lost the first in a divorce settlement. What pissed me off was that she sold the GSX600F without asking if I wanted to buy it back. Then she was pissed off because I would have given her more for it than the dealer did.

I agree, generally speaking motorbikes are bought more with the heart than the mind. Where as generally cars are bought with the mind not the heart.

I think the only time you'll see the sort of passion in the car world that you see in the bike world is in the classic car clubs.
  19. Nup. So far, the the new bike has been too much better, or too much more appropriate for my riding that I haven't looked back. Although the blackbird was a brilliant machine and I would have to keep it for sports cruising. It took such good care of me ( us) when on a run. But it was no longer the tool I needed to get my job done.

20. Given that all my bikes serve some kind of purpose... yeah, I'd say it's hard to let any of them go. At the end of the day, I have to be realistic and get rid of them when their use becomes redundant.