Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Emergency Tyre Repair

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by smidsy, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Anyone know of anything on the market, I picked up a nail in my back tyre today and spent 2 hours on the road side waiting first for the RACQ patrolman (to confirm it was a tow job) and then for the tow truck.

You used to be able to get a foam product called Finilec but google is showing only O/S hits for it.
    Obviously something like this wouldn't be a permanant fix, I'm talking something to get you home at low speed without stuffing the tyre - with my level of RACQ cover the tow was free, just a pain waiting 2 hours.

2. There's a couple of different sorts of puncture repair kits on the market - sold at bike shops - which "might" get you out of trouble. They usually contain a plug thingy of some sort, plus some cylinders of compressed air to inflate the tyre enough to get you to a servo.

Don't always work tho; depends on the type of puncture.
    ETA: Wear your gloves when using the cylinders b/c they suddenly get VERY cold.
  3. https://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&tb...835a0ed05359c1&bpcl=39650382&biw=1366&bih=667 Take your pick. Not sure if Supercheap or AutoBarn etc have them.
  4. I have both the string style plugs & a Dynaplug kit.

I have found the string style to work well, after my last plug on a RoadPilot3, I have put over 10000km on it.
    However, with the string style plug kits, I have found the glue (in the kit) needs to be checked and replaced each year as it drys out. and sometimes reeming the nail/screw hole can be difficult. Plus you will need someway to pump the tyre up.
    I have bought a Dyna plug kit, which I have yet to use, however, after watching a demo video, it appears alot easier/quicker and might get away without the lose of too much air.
    heres a link:

and where I bought it, after reading a few reviews in mags and online.

• Like Like x 1
  5. proper tyre repair kits are the way to go, the cans with foam can seal some leaks with the foam and inflate the tyre BUT they make a mess for the tyre changer and also I think from memory your not suppose to do more than 80km/h and it is designed to get you somewhere to get the tyre fixed or replaced its not a permanent solution, although some people treat it as it is.

Personally I have a tyre repair kit and a small aircompressor in the panniers (small enough for the bike and would fit under most ducktail seat storage areas
  6. The foam in a can is expensive and in my (fairly extensive) experience of it, it's pretty hit and miss as to whether it works or not. Added to that, there are tyre joints who either won't have a bar of a tyre that's had it in (and fair enough because it makes the subsequent tyre work horrible) or regard a tyre on which it's been used as scrap.

I use it myself because I've got tubed tyres which I'd prefer not to have to remove in a roadside situation and I accept the limitations. If I had tubeless I would definitely go with a plug kit on grounds of cost, convenience and likely effectiveness.
  7. Dynaplug is easy and quick to use, but the limitation is the size of the hole it will repair. Some mushroom plug kits have a variety of plug sizes (can't remember which).
    I always carry a little air compressor (Tomcat brand, but there are others) on long trips now. Some need an accessory power point, others can be wired to battery.
  8. I picked up a screw the other day............. no not that kind ;) .
    Really glad it wasn't in my new to instal tyre.
    I use the rope style repair really easy to do just insert the first tool to split the steel belts
    put the sticky rope on the hook tool , insert twist and pull out the hook tool trim and inflate.
    I also throw a little rubber cement on the rope which I keep in the kit its the stuff you repair bicycle tyres with.
    I keep the kit under the seat along with four canisters of Co2 , the kit was cheap and small , always carry it.
    The tyre has not lost any air and should last until the next tyre change.
    The is the second time I have used it first was on a brand new tyre :banghead:
    Which I had a mushroom bung style put in by my mechanic that lasted the life of thtyre.
  9. Well they look very nice Mr McGuyver ;) but unfortunatly for me the Monster has very limited storage limited being a very generous description so for day to day the C02 is all I can fit under my seat .
    But thanks for the link that may be my next purchase for long trips.
    Its funny though in the last 12 months I have done two trips to P.I. and a 1400k trip around the snowies with no punctures.
    I got my recent one literally 1 k from my house, bloody tradies leaving screws and nails everywhere :(
  10. I hear you. My bike has precisely 0 storage without bags.
  11. This video is excellent to watch. but I need any short and understandable video to learning exactly to change Tyre tube and get complete info regarding this if this will need to change anything.
  12. Forget the cargol kits. Useless.

I have fixed 4 + tyres with the rope kits without hassles.

Many punctures are weird shapes and the cargols just don't work. With the ropes you can use multiple to make it fit almost ANY puncture.

I carry the cylinders and ropes on both my bikes (under seat).

I take one of those mini compressors on big trips, they take FOREVER !

But yes you get one shot with each cyl so make sure you get the hole plugged right and screw the cyl in quickly.
  13. you don't have a mate with a ute? :)
  14. stu-h....."I take one of those mini compressors on big trips, they take FOREVER !"

..like more than 2 hrs waiting for a tow and still not fixed.
  15. My little tomcat compressor does the trick. Sure it's slow but its more convenient than gas bottles, reusable, cheaper than two uses of the gas, and takes up only a tiny bit more space. Slow can be 10-15min. Leaps up in the first pump but starts go struggle after about 30psi. Gets there eventually.
    No I don't work for them!
  16. hey guys what about a tubed tyre, whats the best method there ????????

17. CWNA latest bootcamp // CWNA PW0-250 Questions & Answers
  18. Carry a spare tube and swap it out.
    You can patch the old tube later and keep it as a spare.