Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Emergency Stop For Mobile Speed Camera

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by nicholas, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Nearly shat my pants today when I realized there was a mobile speed camera just in front of me. The good news is that my first reaction was to pull on the front brake leaver, the bad news was that I locked up the front tire for a split second nearly stacking it right in front the police wagon because I was over the speed limit.!! I hate those damn mobile cameras.

2. and I hate those damned speeders and crashers who are giving all of us a bad name.

What's your point again?
  3. Hey Hey!!

I was going over the speed limit, that doesnt mean I was speeding, I was doing a prefectly safe speed.

75 in a 60 zone, I hardly call that speeding!!
  4. I think the point is that mobile speed cameras make ordinary motorists jump on the brakes and lock up their back-wheels as an initial reaction - thereby making our roads so much safer.

Thanks guvermint!
  5. The best award for ironacy goes to..

6. You mean you were 25% over...
    Now i will be one of the first to stand up and say the draconian zero tolerance policies of current administrations are more of a danger than a safety measure, and I will admit that I have probably done the same (Allegedly) but 25% is speeding in any bodies language, and you (And allegedly I) should have the book thrown at you if caught.
  7. How is that being ignorant??

Hypothetically, if the universal speed limit for every road in australia was 40km/h and you decided to go 60km/h would you be speeding?? I think not.
  8. In fairness, you see people who are under the speed limit hit the brakes too simply because the reaction and the thought 'What speed am I doing' happen simultaneously. But hey, it's a good thing! More accidents means less road users, and less road users means safer roads!
  9. The fact was that I was riding at a comfortably safe speed, but when I realised I had a couple of car lengths to stop myself from getting snapped I pulled on the breaks and locked up the front wheel for a split second. I wasn't speeding in an unsafe manner, I was cruising.
  10. Well yes it would. If i've got this right, 60 is a higher number than 40. And if you are talking in kilometres per hour then 60 is also faster than 40. Faster as in a higher speed. So if you are going at a faster speed than is posted then yes, you are speeding.
    And I thought i was a bit slow
  11. :p I too hate the camera's. lol but i think I would rather get snapped than stacked. Glad you r ok though a stack coulda been bad!
  12. Thankyou!! Someone here likes me :grin:
  13. Yup, you are slow. Slow as in "not speeding" (in traffic) :wink: (Hopefully) we do understand your implied meanign that someone posting in this thread is "slower" than you :-w :LOL: :biker: :moped: putt putt
  15. Hmmmm....

According to your logic then any action which you justify by saying "according to me I wasn't ______" then you should feel free to do what ever you please, but bear in mind that society at large thinks differently.

You could murder, **** and pillage I guess, as long as you are convinced it isn't murder, **** or pillage.

Lets take this one step further......What if someone committed the above offence against your person....then said "according to me it is not _____" Your defence is incongruent and is indefenceable.

I knew my philosophy elective would be useful....been waiting for years to use it :)

Sorry. You sped!

16. Sorry your comparison is skewed.

If speed limits didnt exist, then how would you classify what constitued speeding?

17. Baby Killer :twisted:
  18. Now my head hurts :LOL: :LOL:
  19. You wouldnt need to then, but speed limits do exist, so going faster than the speed limit is what constitutes speeding :roll:

I would like to point out at this point in time that I never speed, according to Nicholas's theory anyway :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  20. You havent answered my question correctly, and there is an answer.