Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Emergency Braking

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by gixr.thou, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Its been a long time since I’ve had to do an emergency brake. Bout 3 bikes time I reckon. Riding down the street to have lunch with the Mrs and a metallic green commode comes flying out of Maccas drive through. Usual didn’t look kinda thing. I’m on the anchors back end is floating and the front shuddering as I teetered on the verge of locking the front completely. Had a friend in a cage, who rides, saw it all happen and said straight out that experience saved me. He reckons, had it been him, there is no way he coulda stopped the bike that quick or that safely. I held my line and came to a complete stop from 61 km an hour. (I was watching the speed as there are often cameras on that stretch of road). Glared at the drive who’d finally looked and stopped, stalling his crap-a-door in the middle of the lane. Which drew a disgruntled toot from a car coming the other direction who had just exited a round-a-bout and wasn’t travelling at any speed and therefore hardly needed to brake. Sure enough the disgruntled cager decided to lean on the horn while waving hand gestures implying the need for Mr Commode to go and fornicate with himself. End result Mr Commode is a bad driver for blocking the traffic.

So my point/s.
    1. Idiot in commode. One of many. Shouldn’t be surprised.
    2. Glad I’ve still got the skills.
    3. Thinking ABS on a bike isn’t such a bad thing for a noob to have. But then again, they’d never acquire the skill to brake hard and control the braking by feel.
    4. And, here it comes. My actually gripe. What about me!?! So he blocked traffic. I just lost ten years of my life. Wasted a good couple of millilitres of adrenaline that could have been induced by a nice winding road through the hills. And all anybody (disgruntled cager) cares about is not being able to get to Mc Donalds.
    Thank you for reading the ravings of an invisible motorcyclist.

Oh funny thing. Got back to work and there is a 4WD in my motorcycle parking bay. I pull up on the grass beside the car park and get off. The woman strapping her children in turns to look at me and says, “Oh, that’s what the line down the middle of the car park means. I’m in your carpark arn’t I? I’m sorry.”
    I replied with the courteous, “It’s ok. No worries.”
    She goes back to strapping her kidlings in so I get my walking stick out of its tube on the side of the bike and start heading to the door as she turns around stating that “At least it’s not a disabled spot.” She sees me and does the whole OMG hand over mouth and profuse apologies. All I could do was smile. Bet she thinks twice about the line down the middle from now on. 
  2. what an idiot (4WD lady in motorcycle space)

dude in commodore should be shot
  3. Hey mate,
    Well done on firstly carrying out what seems to be the perfectly executed E-Stop, ultimately saving your own life ! Did one the other day, but not in anger...sure does pucker up the rear, and I'm not talking brakes/tyre !
    Thanks for posting your event, which serves as a reminder to us all of the importance in executing these life-saving manoeuvres, regularly.
    Hope that pr*ck (disgruntled cager) got more 'tartare' sauce than he expected from his Maccas order !!!
    Glad to hear you're well mate (y)
  4. I drive a commodore. It's a station wagon though and I need it to take a drumkit from place to place.

...can we still be friends? 8-[
  5. You've had a good day all around. Congratulations to you.

I drive a commodore too. It's my son's. He has two of them. Sorry.
  6. Hmmmm. Why wait till you really need it to try it out ????
    It's all part of riding. And if you ride on the road you will need it. One day or two or three.......
    Doing it at forty k's is a piece of piss. Doing it at 100 is not so easy. At 160 it's a life skill.
  7. #7 friction, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Good on you for pulling it up so quick.

The guy who did my L's course said that to get their license to teach they had to do all the same test as us, but to much more difficult standards. Apparently in the emergency braking, all the teachers-to-be were doing stoppies trying to out-score each other.

Surely having 100% of the braking power at the front isn't as efficient as using some at the back as well, but I suppose if the front's not letting go just keep applying more pressure.

My next bike will DEFINITELY have ABS: [media=youtube]-Zv3Sacl7JQ[/media]
  8. Worst. Parent. Ever.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Well done on surviving!!

4WD lady....seriously needs to get a clue..
  10. I really hope your not practicing emergency braking from 160 on a public road.

Like I said braking hard is something I haven't done in a while. My favorite place for practicing used to be Honda at Phillip Island (now known as turn 4). Coming up the inside of others under brakes with the back end floating and the front fully compressed. Then starting to ease off the front and letting the back swing out to the left finding that perfect angle to lay it into the corner. You could just feel the front start to chatter as it struggled to maintain grip with the surface as the lateral presure increased. Easing off the brakes competely and holding the inside line right through the corner is without doubt one of the best feelings.
    When you get it right. :-/
    Sometimes you screw it up big time and have to make a split second decision between the back road to the pits or try and make the corner. Think too long and your grass trackin in never nerver land off the end of the corner.
    If you want brake from 160 or higher please do it somewhere safe and legal. Somewhere there isn't a tree or powerpole in never never land off the end of the corner.

To the commodore drivers out there. I meant no offence. I used to own one once. It eventually had grass growing along the bottom of the windows cause I never drove it. I had to sell it cause it was too difficult to lift the mower onto the boot. I shouldn't have implied that the idiot was such due to the car he drove. I'm sure he would have been as bad a driver in a Ford. Sorry in advance to all the ford fans.
  11. I hope you’re not practicing your emergence braking for 160 on a public road.

Like I said, I haven’t had to brake hard in a long time. My favourite place for braking hard used to be Honda at Phillip Island (Now know as turn 4). Braking late and hard diving up the inside of other riders with the back end floating from side to side. The forks compressed to the point that you can feel every tiny little imperfection in the surface. Then as you got closer to the corner you start to tip her over as you ease of the brakes. The back would floats out to the left and settles as the front starts to shudder, protesting about the increase of lateral force. Feeling this you’d ease off more of the brake as the pressure in the forks transitioned from braking to corner load. The whole time teetering on the verge of a front end loose you eventually have the brake fully released and start to reapply throttle as you hug the tightest line you can hold. This is the most awesome feeling when you get it all right.

On the other hand when you get it all wrong, and you’ve left it too late you have to make a decision. Back road to the pits or still try and take the corner. If you take too long to make this decision you end up grass tracking in Never Never land off the end of the corner. So like it was saying, I hope you’re practicing your emergency braking in a legal safe place. Somewhere that Never Never land isn’t populated with trees or powerpoles.

And to all the Commodore drivers. I apologise. I meant no offence. I used to own a Commodore until it started growing grass along the window sills where it was too hard to get the lawn mower. I always rode the bike and it just sat in the drive like a giant mushroom. I’m sure the idiot from my earlier recount would have been as poor a driver had he been in a Ford.
    In advance, sorry Ford fans.
  12. Anyone know where a good place to practise braking would be? (somewhere you can get to about 80kmph comfortably) In Sydney*.

I usually ride around the backstreets of industrial areas on weekend days but they're only good for about 60kmph.
  13. Somewhere with no traffic, no pedestrians is a good start. Those housing/suburb developments where they have already put in all the roads and have just started building are awesome for this stuff. Watch out for crap all over the road, though.
  14. I saw an old bloke with a hundred years experience put a CX500 down once, when I was a very young bloke, doing a practice (or in that case demonstration) emergency stop. He grabbed a handful, and (I think) rode onto a single solitary piece of gravel at just that moment. Naturally the wheel locked, but instead of simply releasing it, his other human animal instincts took over, and he grabbed onto the bars as tight as he could - including the front brake. It was probably only doing 15k by the time it hit the deck, but still.

My point is (1) you don't need to be a new or young rider to stuff it up, and (2) be very clear in your mind that if the back comes up sharply, or the front tucks, or even if you hear a screech - let the f#ggen brake go!

A practice stop is not a fail unless you fall off the bike. You can abort the effort at any moment. You don't need to go for 'Bansai, Danyal San' at the first attempt. Build up to it. Do a stop, or significant slow down, at a firm but normal rate, and then do another one just a bit harder ... This will have the double benefit of getting your eye in safely, and warming the brakes and the front tyre. And if you're good, and really getting near the limit, you should (after a few goes) start to be able to get a sense of just how much grip is available to you, on this day, on this tyre, on this surface. If you are a new rider, on a pretty new bike, with a nice new tyre, on clean dry newish asphalt - it's probably one hell of a lot more grip than you think.

The stunt riders pop them up on the front wheel. There's no special insider trick involved in that, and the bikes are not modified in any way to make it easy. They just stop HARD. Does that tell you how much grip is available when things are right?
  15. Heading east along Olinda-Monbulk Road today on a big sweeping downhill left hander when a stupid fwhit, who had missed the turn to Upper Coonara Road, decided to reverse back up the road to the intersection. The whole thing came on me in an instant without any warning whatsoever. Stupid prick put his/her life in danger as well as anybody else coming along the road. Road conditions were patchy damp, lots of leaf litter, lots of shadows, very cool.
    I had practiced a few emergency stops last week at the Saturday practice, so am glad I did. My bike also has ABS.
    Well, in an instant, I don't know why, I stood the bike up. Then squeezed the brakes, felt the front dip firmly taking up suspension slack, then squeezed harder. I don't know if the squeezing was in stages. I think not as I had no space or time to think clearly. I recall the squeeze was firm and constant, as I know I have two big front disks with Brembos attached. I pulled up remarkably quickly, no ABS required, but felt that if needed it would kick in. Then I hit my fcuking horn, which is a really loud bastard. I hope I scared the begeevers out of the stupid cager, as the driving was reckless. The rest of the ride down the hill was an adrenalin rush as I felt that a bit of practice had paid off.
    I am certainly going to practice emergency braking on occasions so that I can do what I did today.
    • Like Like x 4
  16. I had my very first eb last week. Overall I was pleased afterwards. But not at the time.

Good job PetesulPetesul
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Obviously you did well too GoldenberriGoldenberri. Nice to know you handled it satisfactorily.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Nice to know I practice using both brakes when I ride. If a had relied on front only I would have come unstuck. Why do they tell newbies not to touch the back brakes? I'd be lost with them.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I'll always use both brakes, so I suppose it is also the rider's style.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. We'll just talk amongst ourselves GoldenberriGoldenberri.....
    • Funny Funny x 1