Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Emergency braking question

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by ShadowGT, Oct 27, 2011.

1. I'm just wondering in a emergency braking situation is it ok to ignore the gears and just pull in the clutch as I brake to a stop then shift down to 1st once I'm stopped or should I be shifting down still as I try to stop quickly. Can this damage the bike? Is it dangerous?

2. In an e-brake situation, I think you main concern is stopping without hitting the obstacle and losing control of the bike.

In a nutshell - what I was taught and practise is:
    Ignore the gears - clutch in - rear brake to steady - roll off throttle and squeeze the front brakes.

All in very quick time of course.

Others may disagree or add more detail
  3. It's like you got tought set up and brake forget the rest. Change gears while standing still will not damage your bike.
  4. I think as you get more experienced that you will automatically change down when emergency braking, and this is the safest and best way.
    I would be practicing that.

Sometimes you will need to accelerate away very soon after bringing the bike down to a safe speed to further avoid collision
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. if you remember, can pull in the clutch at the last minute to prevent stalling, but its all about braking (and not locking up the wheels).
  6. ...don't pull the clutch in during e-braking until the last split second before it stalls. You want engine braking to help you slow down while rolling off the throttle and hitting the anchors.

If you're e-braking, your main focus is on washing as much speed as possible while staying upright...don't worry about the gears. If you stall and you haven't hit anything, you are "safe". Obviously assuming the vehicle behind you has also stopped in time...if it's a car and you e-brake, most likely the car behind you (again assuming they are paying attention) would slow down way before you will. I have stalled my bike once when someone came out of a side street and nearly hit their rear bumper...I got out without coming off, the driver was still an idiot and the driver behind me stopped well clear of me.

...that's my experience anyway.
  7. Just keep in mind that if you have to stop quickly, so does anyone following you. Get back to first gear ASAP just in the case where you have somewhere you can go to avoid being rear-ended.
  8. #8 Stewy55, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    My GS500F doesn't like to get into 1st gear (from 2nd or above) at times when stationary, unless the bike is rolled a bit. So I always try make sure I smash down through the gears with the clutch in on an e-stop. This is also what our Ls instructor told us to do and also aim to only put your left foot down, right foot on the brake and fronts off as soon as you stop and be ready to take off if need be to avoid being rear ended.....
  9. it's easier to bang down through all the gears just as you roll the final few feet to a stop than to try and get the bike into first stationary
  10. I've linked to a study somewhere here where the best clutch in ebrake was 0.5m shorter than the best clutch out until the last moment ebrake.

And kicking down gears during the ebrake makes it longer again - it takes some attention away from brake pressure and traction management.

So for the shortest possible ebrake to a stop:- rear brake, roll off, clutch in, front brake set up, front brake squeeze, push back in seat, brace against tank, reduce rear brake pressure as weight transfer comes forward, keep squeezing front brake - in a blink of an eye.

For an emergency slow, I kick down the gears while the wheel is turning, that way I get through the gears - sequential boxes down shift well when stationery - and can get rolling when I need to.

FWIW HART advises clutch out till the last minute, no kick down. Stay Upright advises clutch in and kick down.

Choose one of the permutations and practice it often!
  11. #11 joetdm, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Try this on your next ride when your gs is stopped, find yourself in a higher gear and you cant down shift the gears.

As you are pressing down on your gear lever, release you clutch out slowly (but not all the way) and you'll find the gears will down shift before the clutch is released all the way.
    This is common occurance with m/c gearboxe/clutch. I don't really have the time to type out the technical reasons why...

12. Thanks i'll try E-braking with gears & E-braking without gears when i practice tomorrow & see which ends up being the better. I'm kinda stuck riding my bike up & down my own street till i get it insured next week so im trying to get as much practice in i can.
  13. if you can afford to worry about gears its not an e-brake
  14. Exactly. A true emergency stop, or what i ALWAYS aim for, which is brake/swerve combo...won't let you even think about down changing.
    I prefer to leave the clutch out, and don't car if the rear locks up, because I can declutch for control if needed.

Personally, I hate the whole idea of emergency "stopping". I get my fair share of emergencies, but can't even recall the last time I actually had to just...'stop'.
    Oh hang on, I do remember once about 4 - 41/2 years ago. My not being alert and a bit lazy at the time, I denied myself any way out. (stupid)

Pulling the clutch in at the beginning will leave you to relying on brakes alone. Not a bad thing, but not my choice of action.
  15. I'm not an expert, so disregard this and/or correct me if I'm wrong (correcting me would be better - then others can learn too), but I believe that the advice to pull the clutch in is on the basis that yes, engine braking does help to slow you some, but ideally during an e-brake you want to stop FASTER than the engine braking would normally allow. If the clutch is out, it means that the brakes have to overcome not only the inertia of the bike, but also the compression of the engine too. Or something like that.
  16. you might find its easier to lock the rear with the clutch in.
  17. It all depends on your skill level
    And sphincter retention.
    You can be a brilliant rider when all is good and crap yourself when it hits the fan.
    You can be a noob and keep it together.
    If you tend to shoite yourself then just worry about the brakes.
    If you can keep your cool the chances are you wont have time to stop so you want to be in the right gear to ride out of there when the opportunity arises if it does.
  18. I agree with Raven on a coupla points - on a true e-brake where I had to come to a stop, the main focus is on the brakes only, dealt with the gears after, the number one priority is stopping immediately.

In reality though, all the other ones are emergency slows...where even though I was braking pretty hard, my left hand and foot automatically downshift, while also judging my position in space/time to see what you have to do next. Often it's more about road position.

Eg "quick head check/move to next lane/between lanes" could be a better exit strategy than e-braking. I had one on the freeway (the winding 90kph section of hilly corners on the F3). I came around a bend and the traffic was suddenly stopping due to a traffic jam. I semi e-braked and slotted between two lanes of cars in front. By the time the guy behind me stopped, he was about half a bike length from the car in front.
  19. We have discussed this stuff exhaustively in the past. "Search" is good. There are hundreds of pages of whys and hows and when and wherefores.

Listen to Raven, Bretto, Hawklord, chef, robsalvv, GreyBM, Deadman ...

If you have time to change gears, it's not really an emergency.

There are arguments for and against pulling the clutch in.

There's an argument that you should use both the brakes or just the front.

One thing nobody much argues against, and that is practice is good! It may just save your skin one day.

If you're riding well, ('defensive' doesn't have to mean 'slow' - it just means you're mentally switched on) then you almost never need to do an emergency stop.

Many times when a bike runs into a car, the rider did not take the opportunity to swerve around the car, which would have saved them. Or they brake, but don't brake as hard as the bike can brake, because they were frightened of locking up the tyres. They simply have no idea how hard the bike can brake.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Yeah it's NR...the aim is to repeat all the usual threads over and over isn't it?? :D

Hey, it's a Thursday...must be time for a nodding thread...