Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Embrace the power of positive.....riding

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by PhilC, Oct 14, 2011.

1. I just felt like having a bit of a brain dump on this one after a few things I've read on here recently and my own experience every day on the road.

One of the things they teach pilots is to "fly all the way to the runway", now this may sound like a bit of a joke, you really don't want to be in a plane that didn't fly all the way to the runway... there is however, a little more to it.

The crux of the concept is that you pick the spot you're going to land, and with positive control you fly the plane all the way to that spot, in control of your speed, altitude and attitude.

(There's a point coming I promise, and many of you can already see it.)

Think about this concept in terms of your riding. Dithering in traffic, wandering into gaps, assuming everyone else will be predictable and keep doing what they're doing, is a good way to get your nice shiny bike all scratched up.

Space is the best protection you have on a bike and it's up to you to create and control that space. Every time you merge into traffic, every time you exit a Free-way, every time you take the bike out of the garage, you need to be doing everything you can to control everyone around you (yup, I'm serious) and to create a safe space in which to ride.

Pick your merge gaps a long way ahead, control the space you have in front and behind with your own speed. You can wipe off a touch of speed and give yourself options, you can increase your speed a touch and give yourself options. I will twist the wrist to a few k over for a few seconds and risk a speeding ticket any day of the week, to not get dead.

Making every action intentional and part of a plan will make you more predictable to other road users, it will make your buffer zones better, and hopefully it will help you keep your bike nice & shiny.

I need to use a soapbox, my feet don't reach the ground otherwise.
    :biker:

• Like Like x 10
  2. Awesome post Phil......lots and lots of Gold to be mined

3. (y)

As I always say, you're driving all the cages around you as well as riding your bike....
    Roadcraft, never ending lessons..

4. Totally agree, although I usually put it a bit more bluntly than that

"Roadcraft, learn it or die, the choice is yours".

5. A good read.
    Road craft can be like knowing when to hold them and when to fold them.
    It's both offensive and defensive.
    Getting up in their face so they cant SMIDSY you.
    Or getting the hell out of Dodge.

6. I couldn't agree more....I describe myself as an assertive rider and I feel you need to be this on a bike to ensure the cars know your there (make your space as you say). I'm always riding a few km's above the speed of the traffic around me. That way I pick the gaps to ride into, making my space, rather than cars coming from behind me which I can't see as well. I was once told that power will get you into trouble however its also your friend to get you out of trouble.

7. Totally agree Phil... dilly-dallying or always assuming everyone else is on the ball is a sure way to end up in tears. I'm one for making positive moves when the time calls for it and backing off as the situation dictates.