Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Embarrasing Noob No Start

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by fightingtiger, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Yes up this morning, on to the bike, getting it all setup and ready to start.

The bike has a bit of a history of not starting so when I hit the button for the starter and nothing happended i assumed a flatish battery.

So pushed it to the side street for a push start.

No joy with that so pushed it back for a jump start, still no joy.

Well D^&*Head it's still in gear. So into Neutral and tried again - still no joy.

Few expletives, and jumped in the car and went to work - not as much fun as on the bike, but still O.k. because i drive an old Alfa GTV6 so fun to drive.

Had a call from my son later that morning - D%^&Head Dad, the kill switch was off :-(

So the moral of the story - check the obvious stuff first.

I think kill switch will now become part of my prestart routine :)

Catch ya

2. Your not the first one mate. I love flicking my mate kill switch off, when we stop somewhere, and just watch the confusion for abit.
  3. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand you've just given me hours of enjoyment, cheers.

OP - good effort trying to push start it with the kill switch off.
  4. When I got my CBR600F4 I must have started it 12-15 times and wondered why when I kicked it into first or started it whislt in first the damn thing would shut off rather than stall or fail to fire. Turned out that the stand was down, and stopped me from starting.

It's a nice feature to have, as leaving the stand down has caused an accident for me in the past.
  5. I was taught a little check to do when starting the bike (which I'm sure lots of others know).

Kill switch
  6. So then...what's the rule with the kill switch? We learnt at the pre-learners that every time you turn it off/on you turn the switch...So people don't bother?
    What's its use then?
  7. Not sure if you already know this, but if you have a flat batt you should still hear the stator trying to turn over (unless your battery is completely dead).

If you run into this spot again, you can jump start a motorcycle battery with your car with alligator clips. Turn the car's electrics on but not the engine when you do this (otherwise overload and blown battery on the bike) and it beats push starts.
  8. Most motorcycles have a lead connecting to the kickstand which will act as a de facto kill switch if the stand is down and the bike is in gear.

The kill switch remains useful for a situation where the bikes engine is causing trouble (uncontrolable throttle, smoking out, fire etc), meaning that you can kill the engine and glide to a stop.

After a while, you'll get too lazy to hit the kill switch every time you stop, but it's still good to know that it's there for when you need it.
  9. Having once inadvertantly wheelied across several lanes of traffic, unable to kill the engine because I was too busy hanging on to fumble for an ignition key down by my left knee, I for one can find a use for a kill switch :shock:

Seriously though, I never use the kill switch under normal circumstances, but I've had and seen a few emergency situations on non-kill-switched bikes where having one would have been handy.
  10. oh man oh man. i've got the stupidest most embarassing story about how to NOT start a bike. might post that one up tonight when typing can be done more slowly and less painfully.
  11. Thanks Guys. Seems I am not the only one.

I like the FINKS sequence - gunna use that :)

Catch ya

12. My daughter did that not once - but twice on her Spada. The first time she phoned and I had to go across town to see what the problem was :)

The second time was months later at home and she eventually realised what it was.

It's always good to be able to get one up on your kids....
  13. If you drop a bike (or come across a dropped bike) with the engine running and the wheel and chain spinning the kill switch can be useful.

In normal circumstances I never use the kill switch. I just turn off the ignition. And I can see no advantage in using the kill switch in these circumstances. However on both my bikes, if the kill switch is accidentally knocked on the engine will not turn over and it is very obvious the kill switch is on.

However I once spent an embarrassing 15 mins trying to start a borrowed bike which would turn over with the switch on and not realising that was what was causing it not to start. If my bike was set up like that maybe I would use the kill switch and that way I would get used to switching it off before trying to start up.
  14. I was taught to use the kill switch EVERy time i turned off the bike.

the idea being muscle memory , when you go down and the engine is still running , KILL!

and you will do it without thinking about it.

these days I dont ever use it, and modern bikes(mine at least) have sensors that shut the bike off if it drops, so not too much need for it.
  15. i never touch my kill switch, 1 less thing to break on the bike, i use the key only
  16. Do it regularly. Did it just the other week. Was cursing the piece of sh*t Ducati. But then had to apologise to it. Running out of fuel on a bike with no fuel light is fun too. Did that twice on my old VTR too.

Don't be fooled though. I'm really smart. I promise.