Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

emails shared?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Guest, Apr 4, 2006.

1. OK quick question i hope.

I have a normal PC which has evil nasty outlook ( i like it) :)
    I have my laptop which is wireless and shares documents but not programs with my pc and vice versa.

But i can't view my emails, is there a simple way to be able to view them from my laptop?
    I don't shut outlook down, and i don't want some emails here and some there.

Thanks Kerry :grin:
  2. If the machines are networked, which I presme they are, you can share the outlook.pst file in your personal folder.
  3. Ok so it can be done, whooooooo ok now how is the question lol
  4. Well you can run outlook on both and tell outlook not to delete them off the server when fetching. This has the downfall of them sitting on the server for ever :p But as long as you don't get huge ammounts that shouldnt matter.

You can overcome this by telling outlook to remove them from the server when you delete them localy ....
  5. Most servers will have a function allowing you to delete them after 'x' number of days I think. This way you can recieve the emails from the server on both computers, the only thing not shared is the sent folder which can be a hassle if replying from different computers all the time.
  6. Move the .pst file to a location that is on a network share.

Control Panel > Email
    Create a profile. Setup the SMTP details. Click on Data Files. Specify the shared location of the PST file. Drop down the box for the delivery location to your PST file. Delete the other pst that it creates as default.

Done :)

7. :-k ...........................english? :oops:
  8. If you would like me to do it for you, it will cost you.

This is my job, I am not going to do my self out of one! :)

If you are technical and understand computers, that makes sense, If you don't and you need it done, unfortunately, I don't do it for free.

9. Just so you are aware of the dangers read the last question and answer

But it can be done an is safer if you have only one machine accessing the PST file at one time (i.e. Outlook is only open on once machine at any one time). But it is by far safer to have a server solution which is economically impractical for this task.

Onto a rough translation

Outlook stores in emails, calender, tasks etc in a data file with a .pst extension. Its usually stored within your profile within the Documents and Settings folder but it really doesn't matter where it is as long as you are backing it up. So since we want two computers to access this file we need to put it in a location that both computers can get to, hence we need to have the main computer share a folder with the other computer so they can both access it. Also a good idea to map this network share onto the laptop.

Once you have move the pst file you will need to tell Outlook on the current computer where the file has moved to. So jump into the Control Panel and do as Greg suggested.

Once the desktop has outlook configured properly again you can do as greg suggested and setup a new profile/account for.

If you have an existing account on the laptop you might like to just use the File -> Open -> Outlook Data File... to add that datastore emails to your existing datastore on the laptop. As long as your account is setup to deliver to the correct datastore you should be ok.

Clear as mud?
  10. share out the folder that your .pst is in on the desktop. Map a network drive on your notebook to the desktop share.

Point outlook to the datafile on that share. You are only able to open 1 occurance of outlook though so if you want it open on the notebook then you will have to close down on the desktop.

on the other hand you should be able to synchronize the .pst across the 2 machines if you have the knowledge to do so