Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Electrics problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by dm_obrien, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Hi, My bike is having a few issues with starting. It is a CB250, in the last few days it has not been starting. After turning on the ignition there is nothing, no lights (not even dim), no indicators, nothing. It push starts easily.
    Yesterday afternoon it did this, I push started it, rode home 40mins, and turned it off. It turned back on perfectly. This morning it started fine. 10mins later I turned it off and it wouldn’t start again. Push started, then 30mins later turned it off and it didn’t show any lights.

When it does start, the lights are bright. I don’t think it’s the battery. The bike has been left in the rain a bit lately.

Is this something to do with the kill switch?

Help appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Drew.

2. At first thought, I'd still say battery. Also check the condition of the battery terminals.

3. It's intermittent, so check all your electrical connections. It reads like it's either at the battery or on the way to or from the kill switch.

Pull the connectors apart and have a good look. give them a good clean ans spray some WD40 around. for such a go/no go scenario, I'm thinking broken wire, bad it may be something shorting to earth.

4. If its a connection problem, ie from the battery, would it still push start?
    I don't think its the battery, its less than 6 months old and it started first go this morning after sitting all night.

I hope it is just loose connections. Is there any actual parts that could be dying?
    drew

5. All sorted. Must have been loose wires. I jiggled them good and it started. No trouble since.

Cheers guys.

6. check your regulator.
    use a multimeter to check the voltage of you battery on idle (should be about 12v) compare with reving (could go up to 13v).