Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Electrics in GSXR clocks need repair

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Jordan, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows somewhere that might be able to repair the electrics in a set of clocks off a GSXR600 1999 model. The tacho works but the speedo doesnt (might be a non-clock issue) however the two LCD displays dont work either. I have a manual for the bike and their only remedy to clock issues are to replace the unit. Very well for them but at around $500 thats a bit costly. I really need the LCD's for the temp and odometer otherwise things are going to get mighty interesting. Oh, cant tell you when they last worked or what causes them to stop as ive just bought the bike and this is the way it is.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Jordan

2. I'd be checking all electrical connections first. These things work on mA these days so are extra sensative to poor connections.

The fact that more than one thing is out also indicates this is the problem

3. Ahhh, I see. Yes, I have found some interesting things with the wiring loom. Damn hackers. Some people can really mess up a loom by just trying to put on aftermarket indicators. :(

So youre saying its possible that if a connection isnt made to the clocks properly for a particular function then the LCD displays might just not work at all. Or it might be that the clocks arent getting power? (or the right voltage etc?) Maybe the tacho is on a seperate part of the circuitry in the clocks to the LCD functions and thats why that works maybe. The indicator lights work though (at least the neutral light does), but once again I guess its possible this could work and the LCDs not because of some other wiring issue.

True, good assumption though. Because its both LCD displays and the speedo that arent working... whats the chance of just those parts "blown". Ill investigate the wiring loom a little closer. I have the workshop manual but I hate reading wiring diagrams. :( My all time pet hate.

Thanks mate.