Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Electricity / charging problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ROAMER, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Hi all !

Since 2-3 days ago my bike was barely starting, now, it won't start at all. After checking things I found that battery is not getting charged properly. 12.5 volts on idle and starts dropping to 10.5 as revs increase. Faulty regulator right??? That's what I taught. But when I checked the voltage coming to the inpt of the regulator from the magnetos or coils or however you call them, input voltage to regulator is dropping too :shock: I've checked input to the regulator with CRO as well, and I can see that pulses from coils are higher in frequency as revs go up, but amplitude is dropping. Can someone tell me what might be the probelm, or even better, how does voltage to regulator normally behave.

2. Sounds to me as if the stator is on it's way out. You can get these rewound as it's a lot cheaper than buying a new one...