Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Electrical/running problems - Zeal 250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by andy_marc, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Hi all,
    Just was after a bit of advice..
    I have a Zeal 250 which has, up until a few months ago been a great bike.
    It all started when one day on the way to work my bike lost power and died. (was out of fuel i think) anyway drained the battery trying to start it up so got the g/f to go and get me a new battery. She bought one from a Yamaha dealer which you had to add the acid to the battery on first use.. Anyways after i did this (and realised i had no fuel) it started up fine and off i went to work..

The next few times no real issue with the bike, until one day riding home from work - on the M2 (again) the bike lost power in the tunnel under Beecroft Rd and as soon as i pulled over the bike died, and wouldnt start again.. After managing not to die pushing my bike out of the tunnel was able to get someone to push start me.. The bike started no worries, then as soon as i lowered revs it dies.
    Ended up towing bike home, then put on charge. Bike started fine again..
    Didnt ride it for a few weeks, then next time i started it.. Bike kicks over fine, but the battery dies really quick. Charge Battery again all good, check voltage while bike is running - 13 Volts. Ride to get bike serviced, all good in workshop.
    Next time i ride (1 week later) same thing.. Sluggish start then battery dead.
    So charge again.. Starts fine, take bike for quick spin round the block and park it.
    This morning, Bike starts fine, warm it up as usual. Kill the motor, Start it 10 mins later, ride maybe 4K from my house, sitting at lights go to take off and it stalls..
    Try to start, no starter..
    Clutch start the bike (luckily i was on a downhill) starts fine.. ride another 3 kays no problem. Stop at another set of lights and it dies..
    Towed the bike back home...

So Im thinking its battery (might have a dud new batt)
    But could it also be alternator? It does seem to be charging (hence the 13v while bike is running).
    What you guys think
  2. Probably the regulator/rectifier has failed, or the stator (which is the bike version of an alternator, it's housed inside the engine case and runs in oil), or both. The bike shop should have picked that up when it was serviced, but never mind, take it back there and tell them it's not charging. They will find the problem and charge like a wounded bull to fix it.

If you want to fix it yourself you can buy generic reg/recs for about $150. Try www.sydneymotorcyclewreckers.com.au/ You'll also want to find a workshop manual and check the stator for a short. Or pull the relevant engine cover off and inspect it, mine tested ok (2002 R1) so I replaced the reg/rec, but it died minutes after starting the bike, and subsequently failed the same test. Rewinding it cost about $200 iirc. Or you could use this 2nd hand one.. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/YAMAHA-ZEAL-...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ced794c5a
  3. Thanks Bunabaroo,
    I replaced the battery again on the weekend, took it for a good wrap and so far so good...
    I did think it could be the stator as well but when engine is running the voltage does go up to approx 14V so it is charging from the bike.
    I did notice though the original battery was CTX9-BS, the one that got replaced the firt time was a CTX7-BS and was not as big. Not sure if that had something to do with it.

Anyway we'll just wait and see.. If it breaks down again i'll replace the stator but thought 100 bucks on replacing a battery myself is better than spending 300 plus then realising its still the battery..
  4. Just an update...
    It was the regulator on the bike that carked it..
    The stator was still OK. My Mechanic put an aftermarket reg on it that he usually uses on R1's as he said the zeal regs are crap.
  5. Hey can you please post the model number for that regulator (Aftermarket)? Any probs so far?