Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Electrical Gremlins on Hornet 900, help, please?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by goddie, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Yesterday parked the bike at work, went to jump to go home found that the mileage [digital] had zero'd, strange I thought as I was sure I hadnt topped it up. Ride home and fill her up and zero'd it all again. Thought nuthin of it, then this morning, fired her up, and for some strange reason as I was riding the grips felt warm, seeing as I was going to servo to check tyre pressure, did the tyres. Got on and started riding and I was going down the freeway and noticed grips seemed warm, cupped the control section to see if the 'blue' light was on as this is defaut setting for Oxford to start up !! Turned them off and on and nuthin took the heat off. Got to work, parked it, and felt the grips [damn warm] so hoping that they cool down and it will fix itself but it is strange never happened before ever, any ideas? thanks..

2. Re: Electrical Gremlins on Horet 900, help, please?

Sell it and buy a Yamaha.....

I love it when I can be of help.

3. Re: Electrical Gremlins on Horet 900, help, please?

lol thanks Doug, havent got the cash tho!! Damn bugger trying to ride with heated grips on full heat on days like today, even with the swith off!! rode home and toasted my hands

4. Re: Electrical Gremlins on Horet 900, help, please?

You didn't fuel it up after midnight did you??? :p

5. #5 mattb, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Re: Electrical Gremlins on Horet 900, help, please?

The problem's not unheard of, it's pretty simple actually - you bought a vampire motorcycle

[media=youtube]fbvqz-nv7Zw[/media]

6. Check the earths and connections on all the aftermarket wiring

7. Re: Electrical Gremlins on Horet 900, help, please?

Agreed. Are the heated grips aftermarket? If so, I'd probably start there. If there's a short around where they join the main wiring loom, then it could have caused your other problems too.

I might be able to bring some tools along on Saturday and have a look if you're still having issues.

8. #8 goddie, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Re: Electrical Gremlins on Horet 900, help, please?

that is a pisser lol

9. Re: Electrical Gremlins on Horet 900, help, please?

I had Streetmaster install them and all working fine, then one day rained and they played up [cause they got wet] contacted Peter Stevens they said to take them off and drop in and they'd send them off, problem is how can I ride the bike with no grips? So left them on, the sun dried it up and all good. Then they decided [yesterday] to turn on by themselves, so I ride and get toasted hands while commuting to work, wouldnt be bad if the heat was low but i seriously have remove hands and air them out to cool down while riding. wouldnt be so bad in winter but not exactly cold weather. Oh yeah and the best bit, switch is turned off, so how does power get to the grips when switched off? good thing power cuts off when key is turned off, one thing today, at one stage it seemed like they 'went off' then came back on, and I'd swear that the right side toasted more then the left at one time. ANY help will be greatly appreciated!!

10. Re: Electrical Gremlins on Horet 900, help, please?

Hmm.. I guess the problem could also be inside the control box for the unit. If water has gotten in there it might be shorting out switching part.

Actually, if we were to start digging inside the unit, there's probably more than a few things it could be - dry solder joints, solder 'whiskers' (if it's relatively new and is built to RoHS standards), leaky capacitors..

If it's not under warranty, and you don't mind someone opening it up to have a look, I'll try to bring some gear along with me on Saturday.

Just have to try and find some butane for the soldering iron...

11. Re: Electrical Gremlins on Horet 900, help, please?

well reckon it's still under warranty as they were installed only a few months back.
    the control unit you talkin about the one close to the battery end or the switch unit at the handle bar end?

12. Re: Electrical Gremlins on Horet 900, help, please?

There are two control units?! Sheesh. I might be out of my depth 8-[

I was thinking that the most likely candidate for failure would be whichever one had the switches to turn it on/select the heat level (guess that's the handlebar one - probably the most exposed to the elements too?), but if there's another unit that has relays or something to drive the grips, then conceivably it could be that too.

If it's under warranty then might be best to defer any open-heart surgery until you've explored the warranty fully.

Must admit, I'm the sort of person who will pull any new gadget apart as soon as I get it, just to see how it works, so I'm not used to having warranty's to consider ;-)

Out of interest, what brand is it?

13. Re: Electrical Gremlins on Horet 900, help, please?

Well a quick update for those that care, if you dont, bad luck :)

Peter Lauder
    Assistant Accessories Manager

Thsi gentleman from Peter Stevens in melb has been great is helping me get my heated grips control unit fixed up, he communicates within reasonable times considering he's running around the shop all the time.

got the unit yesterday arvo, chucked it on [with some consoltation witb my installer thanks 'Streetmaster'] and this morning tried them out and all seem to be working fine..
    My crimping tools aint worth a cracker so that will be atteneded to soon enough

14. Re: Electrical Gremlins on Horet 900, help, please?

Goddie, good to hear that it's all working again.. I'm sure it'll be sorted by then, but let me know if you want me to drag the soldering iron & heatshrink stuff along on Saturday..

15. haha, the old loose connection trick....
    When I really want things to stay connected, I'm anal about it so I crimp, solder and heatshrink freakin everything...

Least you've figured it all out so you're ready for next winter... (y)