Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Electric start woes

Discussion in 'Scooters' at netrider.net.au started by mooks06, May 7, 2007.

1. Hi all,

Need your advice on stuff.
    I just bought a 2nd hand bug vibe last week with 1000kms on it, it went for its 1st servicing last month according to the log book. However, after i bought it, i find that the electric start doesnt work well. I press it once, theres this sound but scooter doesnt start, then i press again and theres no more sound. Have to use kick start to start it now and even with kick start, i need to kick like 5-6 times to get it alive. What do u guys think the problem is and how can i fix it? do i need to replace the battery? I've been using it almost every 2 days and for short distances but still even after 15minutes ride, i turn it off and try to start it again and the problem persists..therefore use kick start again. I'm totally new to scooting.

Thank you guys.

2. 1st thing is to check that the battery is in reasonable nick, and has the correct level of gel or liquid acid. If it is a gel battery, the dealer normally has the task of adding the correct amount of gel into each cell before sealing them up, as part of the pre-sales service. Sometimes they don't do this correctly.

Pull it out, and see if you can get a look at the gel/acid level inside. Be careful, the acid is dangerous to your health!
    If the level is OK, or you can't get to see it, try charging it.
    If you are using a high capacity car charger, make sure you don't cook your battery, as they only carry about 1/5th the capacity of a car battery.

If the scoot only has 1000km, it may still be covered under warranty, but batteries are usually excluded from new bike warranties.

3. also, a 15minute ride isnt enough to charge up the battery, so maybe try taking it for a longer ride, like an hour or so. If that fails then take it back to the dealer and just get them to look at it.

4. Alright i'll probably try taking it for longer rides first..if all that fails, i'll try out the battery charging thing and the gel thing..i hope it works..if not i really have to bring it to the dealer. Crap..i heard takes about 3-4 wks in advance if i wana get it serviced.

Thanks anyway Guys! u've been of great help.

5. Alright i'll probably try taking it for longer rides first..if all that fails, i'll try out the battery charging thing and the gel thing..i hope it works..if not i really have to bring it to the dealer. Crap..i heard takes about 3-4 wks in advance if i wana get it serviced at scootopia or something.

The guy whom i got it from must have kinda wrecked the battery.

Thanks anyway Guys! u've been of great help.