Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Electric motorcycles just got sexy: MotoCzysz E1pc

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by nath, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Hell yes!

2. Hell no!

0 vote(s)
  1. [​IMG]

Got a bunch of info together on it (what little there is to be had). It's got 3 electric motors, 125kg of hot swappable batteries and they reckon it'll do 0-120 miles per hour (190 km/h) in around 7-8 seconds.

It's built for the TTXGP..
  2. Great. :grin:

A duracell on wheels.

Looks good though
  3. Those three circuit breakers are big.
  4. Reminds me of Top Gear (UK) Season 12 Episode 7 where they compared a Lotus Elise (960 kg) and an electric car based on the Elise, the Tesla Roadster (1235 kg), which costs three times as much as the Elise and weighs a darn sight more due to the batteries. The Tesla caned the Elise in the 1/4 mile but the Elise cornered much harder and faster due to the weight differential.

So, the relevant questions are how much does this bike cost, and how much does it weigh in total? I'm guessing the answers to these questions are not going to be favourable. Electric vehicles have a loooong way to go. Having said that, we need to start somewhere.

Bollix! Here in Victoria electric vehicles run on brown coal, which last I checked was far from zero carbon and emission-free. Over in the UK where it is held they use nuclear power, 'nuff said.
  5. Needs more flux capacitor
  6. all this electric vehicle stuff is BS in my opinion, its just shifting the environmental problems out of sight to open cut mines etc

now if it was solar and it performed like that without h huge MF solar panel the size of a house I might be more interested, but then again what are solar panels made of?
  7. Batteries are not ideal but electricity is the way to go for most personal transport in this world anyways.
  8. The point is that electricity CAN come from solar, wind, tidal etc.. Just because it doesn't now isn't a reason to say "oh electric vehicles are shit".
    That and petrol powered vehicles are horribly wasteful (waste petrol just sitting there vs electric which doesn't, they pump out petrol fumes clogging up the air where people live).

Petrol vehicles can only be powered by fossil fuels (sure you can water it down with biofuels that waste farming land etc) and that's the only source of power they can ever use.

If we had all electric vehicles then we could turn off coal power stations one by one and replace with solar, wind etc. While ever we're stuck on petrol we're boosting up the profits of those medievil barbaric shithole countries in the middle east who just happen to be sitting on top of oil.. Well.. I'd rather be dependent on Australian sunshine myself.

Bring on solar power I say: of all the places in the world known for sunshine I think Australia needs to pull the finger out.
  9. how stupid will u look flying down the road, and no noise :)
  10. Looks good to me. Assuming the price was reasonable and the range decent - I'd get one.
  11. Also worth noting is just how insanely quick and torquey they can get electric motorcycles: they make maximum torque at rest.. Thus attaining the magic "low down torque" that let's face it, motorbikes don't do so well at.

There's killacycle that can do 0 to 100 in under a second. They're competing in the TTXGP, so will be interesting to see what they've got lined up. I remember watching a video interview with 'em that was talking about the challenges of getting electronics on the bike that can put up with just how much EMF they put out..

Killacycle's facts (from their about page) here: http://www.killacycle.com/about/

Shits all over my daytona 675, and it's no slouch.. I think I remember reading about it doing 0-60mph in 3.3 seconds.. Not that I get out on the drag strip much. :p

I wonder if any of the bikes are going to use regenerative braking, I'd think that'd have to help the range a hell of a lot with all the energy that is wasted slowing the bikes down going into corners etc. For a race like this where it's all new technology: the length of the course is probably going to be the bit that differentiates them, so just finishing might be the bit that separates the field.

Anyhow, I'd say each year will see an exponential leap in performance, like the original TT did with motorbikes. Wish I was still over in the UK (actually, no I don't.. the weather's rubbish), I'd have made the trek over to see the ttxgp.
  12. Nathan, I agree that electric vehicles are the way to go. It's just that at the moment battery technology is too expensive in the case of lithium-ion, too heavy in general, and too environmentally destructive in its manufacture in the case of nickel-hydride batteries. However, we need to start somewhere, and I have no doubt we will solve the battery issues in time.

On the other hand, there is still the issue of where we draw the power from. At the moment, everyone is kind of happy about the fact that electricity costs something like 20 cents per kilowatt hour for the domestic consumer.

We would have problem enough asking the average domestic consumer to start running their houses (including fridges, air conditioners, teles, computers, lights, hairdryers, microwaves) on much more expensive solar sourced electricity, let alone then ask them to run their cars on solar sourced electricity too, especially for a country which is sitting on some of the largest reserves of coal in the world.

No one wants to put in the investment for this kind of infrastructure, and as such electricity will for the forseeable future continue to be dirty. Even with a carbon-trading scheme, this will do nothing more than forcing electricity producers to switch to "clean coal", which is like taking a turd and putting it in wrapping paper, it's still a turd.

As far as the motorbike is concerned, maximum torque for zero rpm (i.e. idle) is something that would persuade even the biggest cynics, if they ever rode one!
  13. Welcome to the future.
  14. I saw that review of the Tesla, and I suspect the bike is the same. Those lithium-ion batteries don't last forever. The Tesla has 6800 battery 'cells'; they don't last forever (and performance gradually degrades), and so what do you do with them when they fail after three years? Not only are they destructive to make, disposing of the batteries is going to throw any savings on petrol (environmental & $) to hell and back pretty quickly.

Sorry - can't see how that is better for the environment than a properly-tuned petrol motor! Hopefully this bike is a goer though. It should be a bit better given that it's not got so much mass to shift...
  15. The tesla had a button where you could pick sound effects based on rpm. There was silent, V8 and a couple of others.

16. Now there's something that really suprised me: I just watched a clip at ttxgp.com and that thing was NOISY!

As for all those arguing whether electric power is better for environment or not, quit your bitching - it's no longer a question of finding more environmentally friendly solutions, it's a matter of finding replacement for oil, because it is a finite resource that's about to run out, period.
    Unless you want to go back to horse buggies and pedal power?
  17. I've always wanted to ride a giant combination lock!
  18. Only if you can have Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries blaring...
  19. Well, given they do away with oil changes, air filters, clutches, possibly brake pads (if they do that regenerative braking thing?), a million and one moving things that can fail in a combustion engine bike.. Electric motors have minimum moving parts. So perhaps we have to retire some batteries or put 'em in for recycling.. It's no different to the by-products of petrol engines if you think about it. Just like they recycle oil and tyres: they'll start doing the same for batteries (assuming the longevity is the 3 years you just picked and not 10 or 15 years).

Compare the consumables:
    tanks of petrol + oil + oili filter+air filter+ coolant

electricity + possibly battery replacement

And divide by number of kilometres that gets you.
    If we had some figures on how those compare that'd make it useful. Another one would be effective lifespan of the engine vs motor. So what fails, how often and how much does it cost (energy and dollars).

It doesn't start to need too many tanks of petrol to make up the costs of batteries. How much petrol would you use in 3 years? Few grands worth? Oil changes?
    Depends on kms of course.
  20. Your reply got me curious :) so I did some research (OK, I googled, but that's still a verb). According to this link:

the current replacement cost of the hand-built battery pack is $US36,000 (that's $A44,000); it should last about 100,000 miles (160,000kms) and about 7 years. I based the 3 years on laptop batteries, but maybe these are different.

Tesla are offering a replacement battery pack bought up-front for $12K, so they obviously think the packs can be done for less. Back of the envelope is telling me you'll be sorta slightly ahead if you go the Tesla route (160,000 kms at 10km/l @ $1.50/l = $A24,000).

Still not convinced that 6,000 heavy metal li-ion cells are 'better' - don't forget the energy that goes into making the suckers - but I suppose that's in the purchase price. Hopefully recycling becomes better/possible.

I want electric cars/bikes to be the solution - I don't see why it's so hard but then I'm not an engineer - maybe the bikes are the go???