Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Electric bike? Where is the noise?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by [Freddy], Nov 29, 2008.

1. Check out http://tiny.cc/jy3vO

<sarcasm>I wonder if it is as "environmentally friendly" as the electric cars? </sarcasm>

Did anyone see the segment on Top Gear last week? M3 v Prius.

2. 80kms range! meh not interested. It would need to be closer to 150-200kms(at 100km/h) to be usefull. 80kms wouldn't get me to work and back.
  3. Yeah, I'd want a much larger range to make it realistic. How long does it take to charge up once it's flat? Surely take a fair bit longer than filling up with petrol.
  4. OK Let's see. Electric. 80 km range. 200 kph.

Sounds like the ideal urban commuter. I can see it putting a real dent in scooter sales.

If they want noise just use a peg to hold a card in the spokes.
  5. 80km range? Mmm I'd need at LEAST 120km, 200km to be safe.

Still, sounds cool.
  6. I seem to remember that the interview with the US maker of their electrical bike (That he the went onto ride/crash (without a helmet on)) - said that it took 15 mins to recharge their bike from empty to full.

So the recharge time would "seem" to be a non-issue.

At 80 km range, I wouldn't get to/from work (60ks each way) but could easily charge at work, we have a garage at the back.

Mind you , at just short of 50k dollars.. I think I might pass. That's a lot of petrol for the cibby 125!

7. that bike was a drag bike though gavin wasn't it. I am fairly sure that it was designed for single runs between recharges.

Peg in the spokes! so old fashion BM, what it needs is a loudspeaker so the rider can go "brmm brmmm".
  8. the prius doesnt count as an electric car. it still has a dinosaur burner under the bonnet.

bikes are a bit too small of a platform with the current tech, but we should have far more electric cars on the road. the technology has been round for, oh only about 150 years.

in the future people will look back in horror at how much time and energy we have wasted on fossil fuels
  9. You think? Maybe when they have a much more environmentally sustainable way of building the batteries. As far as I'm aware they are still using nickel which basically rapes the environment it is mined in.
  10. Doubt it, these are humans were talking about.. the "I only care about me race" wanna solve the worlds problems wipe out the human race.

11. Now the cagers will be able to say not only "I didn't see the bike" but "I didn't hear it" as well!
  12. either that or just a fuel cell bike. batteries are heavy and better suited to cars.

plus cars are much more aerodynamic too, so its uses minimum energy once youre moving.

not to mention the wasted petrol and diesel from cars idling in slow or stationary traffic, which is enormous in the really large cities in europe and asia
  13. Isn't half the reason to ride a bike is for the noise?

I suppose one could clip a playing card to the front fork so it makes that "thwak" sound every time it hits a spoke :p
  14. In fact it's even worse than that - I can guarantee you that 80kms range is calculated for optimal conditions: flat ground, at most efficient and absolutely steady speed with no bursts of acceleration, and with a rider the size of a jockey.

With any battery-powered vehicle you can safely assume the realistic range will be about half of what they quote.
  15. I'm actaully rather impressed
    Remember it just came out. in 2 yrs or so it would prob have a range of 150-200 kmh. -Maybe sooner (they said its getting a new frame)
    Ugly colour scheme in my opinion.
    Does it mention weight??

It would be (alot) heavier than normal bikes i'm guessing
  16. a bit like shooting the chicken before the egg is delivered. We would not be in a position to build electric vehicles, solar panels, fusion power stations etc without the engineering behind the coal powered steam engines and liquid fuel cars and ships.

more progressive societies do. Electric milk and grocery trucks were once popular (and still are in parts of the world). The platform of a bike isn't too small - people's expectations of them are too high. The range of the first petrol cars for example was a lot smaller than this bike! For a vehicle that could be recharged once or twice a day, a 200km range is not important for much of the vehicles on the road today.
  17. Producing a prius actually creates more greenhouse gases than your average car does in it's lifetime. From memory the nickel is mined in africa, shipped to europe where the batteries are manufactured, then shipped to japan where the cars are manufactured, then imported to whatever country they're purchased in. Not to mention all the other parts that are imported.

Making batteries is hugely inefficient and taxing on the environment.
  18. Yeah, but you're forgetting the most important part - it becomes somebody else's responsibility! :LOL:

Greenwash. Yet again.
  19. #20 TonyE, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015

Now while I am emphatically NOT a Prius fan, in fact I particularly dislike them after driving too many kilometres in the Victorian government fleet; and I believe that the approach to Priuses (Priii? - Incitatus where are you now that we need your Latin skills) aptly demonstrated here by Jeremy Clarkson and friend is spot-on, http://au.[media=youtube]TpRsjs7pTUM[/media]

I can't let this one go unchecked. :p

The original stories about the nickel were using data from the early 1970's about the INCO-Sudbury nickel mine, which was more than 20 years before the first hybrids needed NiMH batteries, and the plant has greatly cleaned themselves up and reforested the area since then.

If you were to add up the amount of nickel in the million+ hybrids sold since 1997, the total is less than 1% of the world's annual nickel production (far more nickel is used for stainless steel, for example).

One of the many retractions that have been made...

And a piece from Toyota