Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Eildon to Jamieson Rd - Camping

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jimmythehuman, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Hi there, i have an off topic question. we are heading out camping this weekend, we are planing to go to Jamieson River. Does any one know if the Eildon Jamieson road is a safe easy drive for cars and trailers? or is 4x4 only?

Is the only way to get to Jamieson to go around via Mansfield? How long do you reckon it takes to get to Jamieson at the speed limit from say Dandynong?

Anyone got any other good suggestions for a QUIET bush camping spot that has a cleared camping area but no toilets etc, that isnt quite as far as Jamieson?

2. Well, I can tell you that the Eildon to Jamieson Rd (ie the road South of Lake Eildon) is good enough to ride a Ducati on! I rode it last week: Wangaratta, Whitfield, Mansfield, Howqua, Alexandra-Eildon Rd, Black Spur, Healesville, Melbourne. :grin:

The Eildon - Jamieson road has only 14Km of dirt. The rest is narrow and winding two way bitumen. Some loose gravel on the bitumen road, and one largish broken gum branch across it though (very rotten and easily driven over). Even on the dirt I could get up to 85Kph, but it is a little tight, and was mostly 30-40Kph corners, and 60Kph on the short "straight" sections between. Hmm, maybe a bit slower than that. Some corners were "crawl around slowly" on the bike. I haven't learned to motocross it yet.

If you go via the North route, through Mansfield, you can do most of the distance at the speed limit. You can work out how long it would take, I'm sure.

Can't help with the camp spots I'm afraid. Never camped up that way. Try http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au or http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources05/05_0362.pdf

Have fun. :)
  3. Mates thanks for that :) So you ride your Ducati along that road (south of the lake) from Jamieson to Eildon (Snobs Creek) all the way through? One of the guys nows tells me he is towing his freaking camper van ( i dont know what camping means to some people, but to me it means a tent), you reckon this road will be fine all the way through?

How long you reckon it took you to ride that length of road?

Thaks for your help, much appreciated :)
  4. roads are fine there .. i go camping there nearly every summer .. no need to worry about the dirt road .. my car which is a normal VB holden was okay .. very nice place to camp and fish if you have a dirt bike take it there are some really nice 4 x 4 tracks to bush bash .. also some camping spots have loos .. Trout can be caught using corn as bait but worms and lures are just as good .. enjoy your camping .. one other thing whatch out for the drop bears :grin:
  5. Yep. Well, done it once, but only because it's a new bike, so it was my first trip up that way. No problems.

Yep, it will get all the way through. Watch out going down side tracks to camp sites though!

Sorry, I don't recall how long that bit of the trip took. Probably less than an hour from Mansfrield to the MAroondah Hwy. It took me about 4.5hours from Wangaratta to Doncaster, with a long lunch break in the middle.
    If I was to guess, I would say it will take you 2 to 2.5 hours to get to Jamieson from Dandenong with normal traffic. But that is a guess.
  6. Thanks for the tip, the road was great, the guy with the camper didnt come. There was heaps of trigs and leaf litter oin the road, few kanga on the side fo the road, must have been bit adventerous on the bike? That dirt bit had some super rocky bits - looked a lot like puncture country to me :)

Again thanks for tip, was a much nice drive than the boring hwy to Jamieson.
  7. Your welcome Jimmy.

I'm the kind of guy who walks the Himalayas, and drives his 4WD through one metre flood waters, so a little bit of dirt road, and some rocks don't really register. Puncture? I hadn't thought of that. Nah, wouldn't happen. Falling off, now that could have happened. :grin: