Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

EFI light "on"

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by halifax, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Hi all,

Have a question on the efi light on a zx6r and why it may come on.

my brother and I went to look at a bike today, it is in really good condition however the efi light is on. The bike has an aftermarket computer, is it possible this is the cause of this? What other issues could it be?

Cheers,

2. It is a fairly general error light as far as I know. Usually the computer will have a diagnostic port you can connect to and it will give you an error code. The error code will tell you what the problem is, faulty sensor etc. If it is an after market Engine Management unit it may be badly wired in.

Do you know the brand of the unit?
    Is the EFI light blinking? The blink number may indicate the error. You may need to put the bike in Diagnostic mode to get these codes. Don't know with Kwakas the way to do this but if you can find a service manual it should tell you.

Sorry I can't be more specific. Good Luck.

3. meh

the current owners stroke is too short and he is getting premature ignition :)

4. cheers for the responses guys (particularly the first one)

i put this on another forum and have received a fairly consistent answer, it is probably the exhaust causing it. The bike we looked had a muzzy pipe on it, apparently the efi light comes on when the exhaust valve is not working on the stock exhaust, in this case it is clearly not on so we think that is the cause

5. Ok, The Exhaust valve has probably been removed if it has after market pipes. The ECU has a sensor that detects if the exhaust valve is closed or open. The usual trick is to fool the ECU into thinking it still has an exhaust valve and that it can happily operate it then it stops complaining. After market pipe manufacturers sell a gizmo to do this.

6. Honda and Suzuki are easy to put the EFI light out after they have had a pipe fitted to them, but with the Kawasaki you have to buy a plate and fit it to the exhaust valve servo. Two Brothers racing make some good quality ones. The Kawasaki failure code is 63 for the exhaust valve. Trip the computer into diagnostic mode and count the flashes.