Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Effective Braking

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by RVF_ED, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Hi,

Riding home the other nite & decided to try an effective stop from a fairly quick pace.

For the last few meters or so, the rear wheel was squirming around a little. Not enough to get worried but is this kinder normal?? guess I must have locked it up for the last few meters...

I had picked a marker in the distance to stop at so I did set up the brakes & squeezed progressivly harder.

I used the frt & the rear brake & clutched toward the last qtr of braking as the engine seemed to keep wanting to push the bike forward..(Sorry bad description, possibly totally wrong but thats how it felt).

The concern I guess was the rear snaking around abit.

Any suggestions or tips??

thanks in advance.
  2. As you brake the weight of the bike naturally goes toward the front, so the rear tre will have a smaller contact patch increasing the liklihood of locking if you are a little aggressive. Having the rear squiriming isn't an issue in a straight line, it would be an issue if you were turning as if you panicked and released quickly you could end up with a high side as the rear regained traction and tried catching up with the front.

In short, just keep practicing and you'll get a better feel for grip/no grip. Good on you for practicing, it's a handy skill to have in your toolkit.
  3. Pretty normal IMO, especially if it felt enjoyable.

4. under heavy braking my back wheel doesn't touch the ground.

100km/h to 50km/h in 1 second.
  5. Any loss of traction with either wheel is going to lengthen your braking distance, but it happens.

I have a habit of braking with the ball of my foot, which tends to increase the pressure and risk of lockup, it is better to use your toes. This was feedback i got from the instructor at HART on recent intermediate course.
  6. Wow that can't be healthy dude!