Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Economical transport? pfffttt

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by hornet, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Between the 7/10 and today, 10/11, I have spent, in two slabs, $1014 on the Hornet :shock:

comprising, a full service, including carby balance and tune, valve clearance check and adjust, air filter clean and overall checkup, $435, and

new front tyre, new steering head bearings and new front wheel bearings, $579.

That's about one fifth of the cash price of the machine nearly six years ago.

Try convincing anyone that that's economical transport :LOL: .....

2. Hornet, any product with a motorcycle symbol on it, or to do with motorcycles, is automatically better then that which doesnt, and therefore you pay more for it.....!

Its only economical with fuel! Sucks huh :p.
    Mine is due for rego, got the paperwork today... zzr250...
    Cheapest greenslip is QBE on $383, and rego is $108. Insurance through NRMA (which i have the cage through and am a member) is a competitive $480 (IMR, Swann etc all around 1k).
    Taking it for a pink tomorrow, pretty sure ill pass, but might be borderline on the rear tyre.
  3. Yes, as I noted on here in the last week, a used CB250 is economical transport. A more desirable bike of any sort - sports performance; vintage; custom - is most certainly not.

At least my Hornet cost $2,700 (mate's give away price). If I sell it on for $2k in a couple of years it'll be, by virtue of that fact, cheap motorcycling! :)
  4. My R65 LS cost $3250 some years back. The cheapest advertised now is $5,900 :)
  5. $1014 a year on a service...is rather cheap.

My car would have cost me twice as much considering it keeps breaking down on me. Not including wear and tear stuff such as wheel bearings, brakes and tyres.
  6. What tyres did you end up going with Hornet?
  7. I guarentee my Falcon is cheaper to own over a year than the Bandit and much cheaper over the respective service lives. However I still choose to ride daily because love it.
    Its a different story for those who would otherwise have to pay for parking.
    As long as new rides understand it's not just about the cost of fuel........
  8. well i just blew the gearbox up in my bike today, had to limp down the backroads in 1st gear to get home.
  9. Which bike Jimmy?
  10. Paid rego & CTP today.

CTP - $465.
    Rego - $108.

2007 Suzuki GS500F. Also got Third Party Property which was around $300.

Spent around $2000 on gear, 2 leather jackets, 1 textile jacket, 1 pair of boots, 2 pairs of gloves, wet weather pants, 2 motorbike specific bags.

And I'm around 400km from my 18,000km service :(

Not looking forward to it tbh.
  11. There's your problem, old man - try spending more time with it in the air.
  12. and only then if it's 250 or less. Someone car pooling to work with 1 or 2 extra people will use less fuel per person than a bike.

When I ran the numbers, it came out that riding a bike to uni daily was the most expensive way to get there by a large margin, bar a taxi. The fuel for the commute alone (per week) was almost double the price of PT for the week. Thats not taking into account extra tyre wear, extra insurance, maintenance etc. They're not cheap toys. Almost makes skydiving look like a money saving alternative.
  13. Maybe i should buy that helicopter i was thinking about getting... of course, then id be broke.

Late edit: I cant really carpool to my job :p.
  14. I ended up going with a Dunlop Sportmax GPR200, for a couple of reasons, the main one of which was that the guy actually had one in my weird 16" size in stock :LOL:.

As I noted in the other thread, I don't know what it's like, but I guess I'm going to find out.

As for $1014 costs in a year, not even close with the mileage I do, I have at least 2 services a year at over $300 each, and then there's extras like the bearings and tyres on top :roll:.

And as for wheelies, I have a suspicion that the parlous state of the steering head bearings might have been a result of such behaviour before I bought the bike; I Do know for sure that Loz hasn't been riding it, so I can't blame him :LOL:.
  15. Try traveling 150klms a day then threw every toll available. Then paying for parking.
    Then also if I get stuck in traffic I loose time at work as I am a contractor.
    Time is money.

For every day I ride I put $30+ back in my pocket. for what is worth paying a little more and enjoying a nice ride in and out of work each day is piece of mind, also learn to service your own bike.

Just forked out $14k for my new cruiser so looking forward to riding again.

16. You must have a very efficient car. I need $17-$20 to get my Magna to & from university. Plus the cost of parking, if I can't get free parking, minimum $4. Train & bus is around $14-15, been so long I can't remember. But on my CBR600F, even when I've been at ludicrous-speed on a night time trip home, I use at most $10 in petrol, and get free parking ($50 a year).

Even the $700 I spent on a service & repair was paid for in 7-8 weeks. Uni every day, 500+km a week.
  17. Then add to that - extra tyre consumption, and full insurance rather than weekend.

An old magna? the 2.4L 1.5 ton piece of junk? not surprised. It's probably not in peak mechanical condition either. but first: $17-20 is one return trip? 15L a day? that's quite a lot. I drive a mirage or an echo. They are much more efficient. The echo can get down towards 5l/100km and there is plenty of free parking around uni. Gong is crap for parking though.

PT for me is $24 a week. That comes from traveling centrally rather than south.
  18. No, a V6 TJ magna. The computer tells me it uses 11-12L/100km and petrol is usually around $1.35+ for the non E10 stuff. It can vary in consumption but I've only ever had it as low as 9.5L/100km and that was moving at 80kph on my L's.
  19. ok. That says much for small efficient cars
  20. Parking is what makes the difference, for sure. One thing Victoria does right.

Even so, my bike services are roughly equivalent to the wife's japanese softroader ones. She does more ks than me so it ends up being about the same per year, and she uses WAY more fuel per km.

A mate runs his 80s CB250RS literally on gold coins.