Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Echo-F7 Cycle Computer

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by mjt57, May 25, 2006.

1. Any of you guys own one of these beasts?

I used to go with Sigma Sport cycle computers because of their reliability and accuracy. However, the bike shops around here no longer stock them. So I got this Echo-F7 unit.

It's easier to install than the Sigmas. And as accurate.

However, today when going for a ride it noticed that it was reading fast. When I checked it appeared to be reading twice as fast.

I checked the wheel size calibration. All is OK (1845mm circumference). I was wondering if anyone who may own or have owned one of these had any problems?

2. Hmmmmmmmmm
    I think you may be on the wrong forum. But yeah I had one. I liked it.
    Had no probs. It was on my TREK when I sold it. the TCR came with a flight deck
  3. what the hell is a sigma sports cycle computer? oh and how can you tell if it is reading fast?

Off the topic (soz) I want one of those GP style speedos - they look shwwweet
  4. percrime, some people use the cycle computers on thier motorbikes as they tend to be very accurate, so I think it is the right forum :)

mjt57, perhaps the magnets are dirty, spacing is out? Maybe it can't handle the speed (why after a period of time working I'm not sure). Perhaps the mag has a slight magnetic charge that is stuffing the reading.. sorry not really sure what it could be.
  5. Perhaps he has two magnets. ?

Wonder where the tape measure is.. that,ll tell me if he is in the right forum I guess :)
  6. The only problem with using a bike computer for a car or motorbike is that they dont have any backlighting. I used a Sigma branded unit in my project car while I waited on parts to rebuild the speedo cable and it was very accurate even at high speeds. I used two magnets from a broken HDD mounted opposite each other on a front wheel and mounted the sensor on a brake line.

Thing was, at night time the lcd was impossible to read, meaning I only knew my speed when I passed under a street light. Perhaps you can find one with backlighting now, but I imagine battery life might be a problem.
  7. I have seen a rig where somebody dragged a 12v line to the speedo to power a small globe (think non-flashing xmas tree type), of course then you need to direct it at the speedo only.
  8. Firstly, if this isn't the right forum what would be? It's a bike accessory, isn't it?

I reset it twice. I removed the battery and reinserted it, etc. And recalibrated it. Still doing it.

The unit is a few days old. It's covered a total of 20 km on it. I went for a ride this arvo and noticed that it was reading approx. double normal speed, according to the bike's normal speedo. On Saturday when I fitted it and tested it against my GPS it was accurate to 1 km/h at 140 km/h. The Echo-F7 maxes out at 199 km/h.

I tried re-orientating the sensor, but it made no difference. The unit itself might be playing up. I'll return it for a replacement when I get the opportunity.
  9. http://www.sigmasport.com is the website for Sigma Sport cycle computers. They're good to 300 km/h (my last one was checked at 250 km/h or thereabouts and was spot on according to the GPS).

They are a handy add-on. Aside from getting an accurate speedo, you also get a trip computer. Only thing is, I don't think that any of them are programmable where you can enter in your estimated travelling distance. That'd be handy for estimating time of arrival, or how long til you reach your destination, etc. if the feature was available.

The reason that I bought one in the first instance was for its clock. I was looking around for an LCD type clock for the bike and someone suggested one of these.

The Echo-F7 is another brand. I prefered to stick with Sigma Sport but the local bike shops don't sell 'em any more, so I got this one.
  10. Sigma sport makes an accessory light for these things. Doesn't look that flash, and is battery powered.

Another brand does have a backlit unit. But, if I remember correctly it only ranges up to 99 km/h.
  11. I did a search and came up with this page ..

It's an online Aussie Bicycle Store ... called .. of all things .. "The Bicycle Store" :grin: :grin:

Has a large range of bicycle computers ... including the Sigma Sports range.

Not sure why your Echo-F7 is playing up though ..

Saw mention of the Sigma Sports being hard to get so posted that link ..

Hope that bit is of some help anyways :grin:
  12. Thanks for that. I've found other stores online. And have probably looked at this one. I might have to resort to an online order to get another Sigma Sport.

Was thinking. With the S/S I use a rare earth magnet bought from Tandy. It's disc shaped about 6mm across. Stronger than the normal mangets that come with these cycle computers, I'm wondering if it's doing something to the sensor. The sensor is basically a switch that turns on and off as the magnet passes it. The only thing is that the speedo is reading smoothly, just at double normal speed. I tried to give it a smaller circumference but the data input is limited to 1100mm - 2900 mm. I've got it set to 1845mm.

The same rare earth magnet has been in use on the other bike's Sigma Sport without issue for 4 years now...
  13. I used a rare earth magnet also with my sigma. I got mine from Jaycar.

Perhaps it's your magnet causing the probs, I couldn't get my sigma to work with the standard magnet.
  14. How did you guys get the magnets to stay on? I'd be thinking a 100kph magnet bullet would be a bad thing...
  15. I use a Locktite "super" adhesive, similar to superglue but much more effective. Additionally, I affixed the magnet to one of the disc rotor mounting bolts. Being steel the magnet bit helps to keep it there and the glue's a double insurance. I've never lost a magnet, even when glued to part of the wheel that's not steel, where I was relying on the glue to keep it there.

I can't remember the name of the glue (it's a number like 624 or similar). I'll look it up when I get home and post it here if you wish.
  16. (a) it costs more than a cycle computer
    (b) it involves more work to install
    (c) it involves calibration methods that are more complex
    (d) it doesn't have a trip computer
    (e) cos I like gadgets like cycle computers and GPS navigators
    (f) that one pictured is for a car and doesn't appear to be waterproof...
  17. An update.

Today I moved the sensor from the right fork to the left one (not that in itself makes any difference). I then removed the OEM magnet from its housing and glued it to the opposite disc rotor stud that the rare earth magnet is on the other side, to try and keep the wheel in balance. The OEM magnet is not as strong as the rare earth one. I was wondering if that was doing something to it.

Anyway, took off down the road, still reading double the speed. I had my GPS on with the trip computer displayed to show speed, ave. speed, trip meter and max speed. I had reset the cycle computer's trip features.

I got around the corner, about 800 metres away and the Echowell was reading correctly. Hmm. I stopped and reset its trip functions again. I took off and rode around town, and back home again.

The figures on the GPS corresponded more or less with the Echowell. For some reason it fixed itself.

Now, there are some differences. Aside from going back to the OEM's weaker magnet, the sensor itself is sitting higher than what it was on the right side. This means that the magnet is passing the sensor at its lower half, almost missing it, in fact. The reason being that there's a casting for the DCBS mounting bracket that operates the rear brake when the front brake is applied. (it's just a secondary master cylinder that reacts to fork dive and torque reaction from the front left caliper which is hinged.).

So yeah, aside from a minor calibration to get the Echowell reading the same as the GPS, it appears that it's fixed. For how long only time (or distance) will tell.

If it plays up again, I'll simply order another Sigma Sport cycle computer. I've owned 3 of them now and all of them worked fine. (reason for 3 of them - upgrade to better models...)
  18. a) More than 3 or 4 cycle computers?
    b) Affixing a magnet and the receiver cables vs splicing a few wires into one's speedo sensor cable. 6 of one, half-dozen of the other really.
    c) Yeah, turning a few dials is pretty complex I guess.
    d) Your bike's stock speedo doesn't have trip meters?
    e) I prefer wheels that are balanced
    f) Wrapping the unit in duct tape and sticking it under the seat out of the weather is pretty hard work too I guess.

All of the above with tongue firmly in cheek. :grin:

I used to use a cycle computer some years back on one of my older bikes. Something like what I linked to is a neater solution overall IMO after experiencing both.