Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ebook Readers

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by PatB, May 10, 2011.

1. In anticipation of Christmas (yes, I know it's 6 months away, but recreational expenditure has to be carefully planed in the B household), MrsB has suggested she get me an ebook reader so I can carry enough reading material for working away without giving airport luggage scales a hernia.

Based on some quick internet research I'm leaning towards a Kogan, 'cos it's cheapish, appears to do everything I want and has had a few positive reviews.

However, I thought I'd throw it out to the collective wisdom of Netrider to see if anyone has any particular recommendations or, perhaps more importantly, any tips on what to avoid.

I'm looking for something decently compact, robust, with decent battery life and the ability to read a wide range of file formats. No being locked into a proprietary system for me :D. Otherwise, I'm not fussed. Style, branding and a zillion features I'll never use are irrelevant to me.

Thanks in advance.
  2. I bought my wife a Hanvon 520 a couple of years ago

The main thing to look for is that the device can read DRM (specifically Adobe DRM) files

Touchscreen is coming too, and remember, a smartphone like my Samsung Galaxy S can be used with Aldiko Reader software, which DOES read Adobe DRMs.
  3. Kindle plus Calibre on your PC for format conversions.

I wouldn't bother with the Kogan personally. I've heard too many stories of the screens dying and not being covered under their limited warranty. And with the Aussie dollar the way it is, just go the Kindle. I have the 3G version which gives me wifi plus free unlimited NextG access. The browser isn't terribly good as the device is really only a reader but it's been useful when traveling in those areas that I can't get data access via Sloptus on my phone. And Calibre, which is freeware, coverts non Amazon friendly formats no problems and loads them on your Kindle.
  4. I have a Kobo and use calibre to load books.

It's cheap, simple and works and lasts forever on a charge.

It can read PDFs but it is incredibly slow when doing so. ePub is fine.
  5. I have had an iPad since the start of the year, and would recommend it as MORE than an e reader.
    Have watched 6 seasons of the west wing at work, and the wife and I watched 3 movies on a jetstar flight to Perth which made it almost tolerable.

And I use net rider, email, read books, and carry plenty of pics with me.

The gps is handy on trips too!

FYI, tax deductible for me cos I use it for spreadsheets and docs at work.
  6. I was given a sony reader. It is v good.

One of the first things I read on it was PKD's 'The man in the high castle'. It's an alternate history where the axis won the war, so there are lots of unfamiliar german words here and there. As well as the touch screen, it has dictionaries for a range of languages, so I could simply tap any german word and immediately get the english language definition. I thought that was p. cool.
  7. I've got a kindle 3 3G. Some people don't like the way the pages flash when you turn them, but for me that's okay, and the page is the most book-like I've found. Free 3G delivery if you're not on a network and Amazon's prices are pretty good. You buy the reader from Amazon US so the exchange rate helps too.
  8. I bought a Kobo about a year ago....

Pro's: They're small, light, and extremely simple to use. They recently had a firmware update which added a dictionary which comes in handy. Extremely power efficient - only needs to be charged every 2-3 weeks with heavy usage. No back light so doesn't strain your eyes.

Cons: A bit slow, no touch screen, small'ish screen (but not too bad), very slow and cumbersome when reading PDF's. No back light so can't be read in the dark...

I also use Calibre to manage my e-books. Which ever one you get, they are the way of the future!
  9. If it were me, I would definitely go an IPad - If there is anyway at all that you could use it do any type of work, you accountant could probably write it off as well. Seems a like a really good package solution.
  10. I have an ipad and have purchased many many ebooks using the Kindle app. My understanding is that the dedicated e-ink devices are better as ebook readers, especially given their cost relative to Android or Ipad tablets. However, that's ALL they can do, so it's pretty big downside if you want to have less devices and not more.

The iPad has numerous reader clients available, I use Amazon as their range of ebooks is vast.

It's a worry though, I've bought books I'd never have bought before, simply because it's so easy. I'm currently reading 'The Atomic Bomb And The Origins Of The Cold War'....light reading indeed! But about $10 and delivered instantly.
  11. The iPad is a great multi function device. If you're just after an ereader though save your dollars and buy a dedicated one. They are far better than an iPad for this function. Battery life that lasts weeks on a single charge, you can use them outside in direct sunlight, you don't have to deal with reflections on the screen, they are easier on the eyes, they are lighter...blah blah blah

If you want to be able to play games, surf the net, email, and use other applications in addition to reading books, and long battery life is less of a concern, then the iPad is better. Horses for courses.
  12. get a smartphone. I use FBReader on my netbook baby laptop, and on my android phone, I'd recommend it.
  13. #13 MrJimmyC, May 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I've got a Barnes and Noble Nook Color which I've rooted into a full android tablet. 7" IPS screen is best in class and great to read for hours on. Can be imported from US for under 300. Great for ebooks, movies, web browsing.
  14. My business partner just bought a Galaxy Tab and loves it. He's had a Kindle for a year or so and the Tab has replaced it for everything except reading outside in sunlight.

A tablet works as an eReader plus you can watch movies, listen to music, surf the net, look at p0rn etc.
  15. Thanks for the ideas folks. I've already got a small netbook and my company laptop for computing purposes so I'm not really in need of the iPad/tablet functions at the mo. I do, however, spend a lot of time reading when away from home so the long battery life and glare/reflection free screen of a dedicated reader is more attractive to me. I just want something about the size of a single book that can carry a few hundred as, at the moment, getting on for half my baggage allowance every swing is eaten up by paper.
  16. Kindle... its the ipod of E book readers.

its got the itunes of book stores...

and yes the DRM to go with it , but calibre lets you wrangle things.

personally the ipad is too distracting to be a good ebook, too much other stuff to do ... so much so that I always end up web surfing , email , facebook.... blerg...

kindle rocks as a book replacement...... cos ... its ...like a book. :)
  17. I like the thick ones with pages that turn.
  18. So do I, but trying to fit a month's worth of them into a 10kg baggage allowance (or less in hot weather), along with everything else that has to go to site with me is getting beyond a joke.
  19. Me too. I've got 3000 SciFi and other books in boxes in a shipping container I don't know what to do with. I haven't got the room to build book shelves for them all.

I managed to get every Ben Bova book in electronic format and it uses a 16 MB of data.

eBooks make sense for many people.
  20. I'm a convert. I can't digest report information well from a computer screen (I still have to print things off to really get into them) so I never thought an e-book was for me, but the e-ink form of the kindle screen is really very close to ink on paper