Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ebay Sellers

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by grange, May 31, 2011.

1. From time to time, I look at what bikes are selling, and what prices they are going for.
    My question is, why do some sellers have low starting prices, with reserve not met. As you watch over the days, the bike doesn't sell,
    and it seems a waste of time for the seller and those bidding.
    Would it not be better to at least price the bike realistically so that buyers can see what sort of price that you are looking for.

Please note: the following examples have nothing to do with me and have been chosen as reference only.

As an example http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180674602839&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT is at $1.00 at the moment with reserve not met.
    This one http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180674275238&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT is at $152, reserve not met, with a buy it now price of $8250.
    Why not put a realistic starting price that shows what the minimum is that you would take for the bike, without all the pissing about.
    It costs the same to list a bike with a $1 starting price as it does to list it with a realistic price.
  2. It might be cheaper (from their end) to put it up with a reserve, than start it with a minimum price?

Just a quick check on ebay:
    cost to put an auction up - free (<$1)
    $10 ($5000+)

and reserve is $10, however refunded if the item is sold.

So is it worth saving a potential 10 bucks? Some people are cheapskates....
  3. You might want to check again , it's $5.00 fixed price listing fee for motorcycles and $40 fixed price if it sells.

Hence the question, why not put up a realistic starting price....
  4. Auctions are supposed to create interest and get people interested in something that they otherwise wouldn't buy. So listing it at $1 gets people in who may not have otherwise bid and gets people thinking that a lot of people are interested and makes people pay the most for it.
  5. Is it not a false interest then. Certainly people bidding on a bike that has a buy it now price of $8000, don't reasonably think they are going to buy it at $150.
  6. I paid $3,900 for my Virago to 'Buy it Now' (and get RWC and rego). I first looked at it because I thought the reserve might end around $3k, the amount I had to speand. I wonder if I would have looked at it if it was a simple buy it now auction with no lower reserve? As it was I got excited by it, and parted with my money (not that I regret it).

I sold my Hornet last week for $3k buy it now. The 'Buy it Now' auctions are handy with that - I wanted that price, no more, but no less and I didn't want any haggling. I'm generally more likely to ignore a bike if, after the hours spent getting out and inspecting it (no, I don't enjoy that), I will have to bid and might not have enough for it. With buy it now, it's like a normal sale where know where you stand.

I guess both work.
  7. I'm with the OP, I've sold two bikes on ebay and would have to say that although it did generate interest, starting with a low figure is a waste of time for all concerned, especially the seller having to answer a thousand stupid questions about what bolt was replaced in the last service (yes genuine q) then expect that they will get it for half its value.
  8. this is exactly what I meant, it created interest in a bike that mattb wouldn't of otherwise bought.
  9. Lower starting prices generate more interest & more bids & generally a higher price. If the bike didn't meet the reserve, the seller either has an unrealistic reserve or the market won't pay what the seller wants.

I have sold multiple identical items, some at a BIN price & some at 99c no reserve as loss leaders, the 99c auctions consistently fetch higher than BIN prices, even when run at the same time.
  10. I've used both, and sometimes a low start works and sometimes you lose.
    I either start at a price I'm happy to sell with at auction, or just put a buy it now in a store listing. Or buy it now with a best offer tag.. You can set the reject offers under this amount button to reject the ridiculous ones..
  11. Grange, you have a point but I think the stats support MV.

What do you think about sniping - the last second bid that no one can respond to? Personally I thinks it's very unfair, Ebay is fully behind it though.
  12. hehe would love to see one day, two people get in on the last one or 5 seconds or whatever. one posts a HUGE bid they know will not get beaten, like $10,000 and the other one posts something higher, like $50,000 - hehehehe he'd have to pay $10,000?

i know... unlikely, and would get out of it... but still... amusing
  13. If you're the winning bidder (sniper) its good - otherwise I don't know why they don't look at holding at least some of the auctions similar to Grays online where the last bid has to be there for 15 mins or so before the auction closes.
  14. That's pretty dumb, if no one can bid afterward it just puts the closing time on the bid 15 minutes forward.

I've sniped quite a few auctions, simply because I want whatever is selling. If others have the same interest, I'm surprised they don't do the same.
  15. ??? I don't understand this.

the argument against sniping is simple, you can't snipe in a real world auction and it gives the final bidder an unfair advantage.
  16. It's pretty simple. If no bid placed after the 15 min mark in the countdown can win, then it's a race to get the bid in 15 minutes before the auction closes... unless I've completely misunderstood robbie's example.

Sure. But while it's possible, I'd rather not leave something up to the random chance of someone coming along and topping my bid.
  17. :? The auction has an end date and time. Any bid placed within 15minutes of this time extends the auction by 15min. Not a hard concept to grasp.

Well that's why sniping is popular with snipers. It gives an unfair advantage.
  18. As a buyer, it's great! As a seller it sucks. It doesn't follow with the Auction format & yes, it is unfair. I do it all the time.

I can't see eBay being behind it, lower prices, less funds to eBay. Unless eBay have their own sniper service...?
  19. No Ebay are fully behind it. They say it's part of the bidding experience. lol. They recommend to buyers that they don't snipe and just put a bid in whenever they want with the highest price they're willing to pay. They're also against auto extensions as an anti sniping measure to give sellers certainty with their auctions.

MV, what do you sell?
  20. BS! If you want something, you should bid up to the MAXIMUM that you would pay for it. Therefore, if you are 'sniped' it's above what you were willing to pay for it anyway.... If they try to snipe and it raises your final selling price, well you're a lucky bugger who won so don't complain.

In live auctions 'sniping' is alive and well with bidders putting in their final bids when the auctioneer is calling out the 'going once, going twice...sold'.