Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ebay Moral Dilemma

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by beery, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Ok here's the story ive got a spare workshop manuel (Suzuki DR600) which i sold on ebay to a guy in Western Australia. I got talking to him and we talked about his bike cause the DR600 is pretty rare, he sent me pictures of his Bike.
    he told me when he got it, it was in pieces ive done alot of research on my bike and the model history and Im positive he has a differnt model altogether i think its a 1990 DR650 going by the coulor, the shape is identical for the 1st few years.

My delema is do i tell him or should i take the $70 and keep my mouth shut?

My thought is i should tell him and offer him his money back but then part of me is going ive brought the wrong thing before and worn it.

What are you thoughts on what i should do?

2. There are reasons for and against, but at the end of the day I imagine this is likely, given your doubts:

1) If you don't tell him, you'll be *somwehat unsure* if you've done the right thing.

2)If you tell him, you'll be *pretty sure* you did the right thing, even if it's a pain to do.

3. Ya never know, if you tell him, he might take it anyway!

But hey, $70 bucks or a clear conscience.
    Just think of all the things you can get with a clear conscience.
  4. Put yourself in his position.....

What was the next best bid? Hopefully, if he can't use the book, he'd thank you and make up any shortfall/cost for relisting the item.
  5. I have one word for you.......

Karma ;)
  6. Let him know & clear your conscious.

The buyer can make his own decision, afterall it may be as close as he can get & may wish to compare or do modications, or it could be totally useless & disappointing to him which may result in negative feedback for you.

If he decides not to take the item then message the next highest bidder with a "second chance" offer, Im sure if it is as rare as you say, there will be someone who definately is looking & wants it :wink:
  7. You could tell him later that you showed a friend the pic of his bike and the friend commented it was a different bike... up to you. Really the onus is on the buyer to make sure they are buying what they want.
    Some people just collect manuals etc, or could be buying it for a friend.

Not your responsibility to tell people what bike they have.

But if you genuinely like the guy, tell him and go to next highest bid if he still doesn't want it.