Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ebay Levers - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by murchy, Sep 4, 2011.

1. i would never use a no-name lever on the brake side. clutch isnt so critical because you arent pulling it in very hard.

bloke on the gixxer forums put them on his bike. his bike got crashed.

i would go an asv lever that bends rather than the fake china ones.
  2. Thanks for the input JimmyD.

I guess I'll stick to stock for now and save my pennies =]. As far as the other brands go, asv pazzo etc, got any recommendations?
  3. ASV levers

They did not break or bend on my bike during my highside crash
    I rate ASV - HIGHLY
  4. Rust shouldn't be an issue; Aluminium's already as rusted (oxidised) as it's going to get. ;) Maybe the stainless parts and the cadmium-plated spring depending on which alloy is used, etc...

I'd be more concerned about the metallurgy of the materials used in the manufacture. "Oils ain't oils", and metals ain't metals. Depending on where the materials were sourced from it could have the excellent material properties of quality 6061-T6 aluminium or it could have the material properties of 6061-T6 aluminium made badly. Kind of the difference between having an expert chef use a mudcake-making kit from Woolworths vs having a 3 year old child use a mudcake-making kit from Woolworths. It could well be that they've got a source of good quality 6061-T6!
  5. Speaks a man who's never owned a c1980 Honda :D.

Seriously, though, I'd be dubious about putting my primary braking in the charge of <100mm2 of aluminium of unknown provenance. I'd consider it if the levers were cheap enough that I could test one to destruction before putting them on my bike.

ISTR the Gixxer bloke showed himself up to be a bit of a mechanical dill and the cheapo lever probably wasn't the primary cause of his problems.
  6. Touche`. ;)
  7. I took the risk and similar levers are doing the job. Just make sure you stress test them with a good hard squeeze first. Man hands help with this.
  8. Its already a hyosung, how much worse can ebay levers be?

Haha but seriously I personally would only uprade from factory to something that I knew was proven to be reliable. Why put your safety in the hands of some random mob from china? Sure they could be good but if you don't know anything about their quality testing or record how can you be sure?

There are plenty of parts I would happily upgrade with cheap chinese goodies to save some money, but not anything that has anything to do with my brakes.
  9. I considered these myself but the reviews are definitely mixed. There's a lot of people who've had good experiences, but a few have had complaints like:

- front brakes seizing because the brake plunger gets wedged on the housing in the lever
    - clutch lever being the wrong shape, causing problems like the bike not starting in-gear or the clutch slipping when you don't want it to (this was a problem on hydraulic clutch bikes IIRC)
    - the aluminium not being tempered properly - some guy on a Hayabusa forum who happened to know these things tested them against stock and Pazzo, concluded that they were the worst of the lot although not catastrophically so. Google "chazzo" (Chinese Pazzo - it's what they called them on that forum).
    - coloured levers discoloring because the anodising dye isn't up to scratch

Granted the discoloration isn't a huge issue, and even the tempering thing probably won't be a problem in street riding. The other ones are a bit scary though, nothing you couldn't fix with a dremel but that's simply not something you'd have to do with 'name' products.

(If you can't tell, I decided against. I haven't bought any other levers though; my decision was that levers are probably not the highest priority for me atm.)
  10. There's a few brake parts I would chance because of a low probability of sudden, catastrophic failure. Note that I said low, not non-existent. Discs, for instance, are highly unlikely to fail in such a manner as to suddenly leave you with zero braking as long as you keep an eye on them for cracks and whatnot. Bleed nipples ditto. Even pads if you're really too skint to buy anything better.

Hoses and levers, though, when they fail, will leave you with nothing. I can vouch for that being very exciting, having pulled the end off a cable or two in the past. Fortunately an extensive history of MZ ownership has left me better equipped than most to handle such a crisis :shock:.
  11. I've had some chinese one's on my bike since mid last year, this is the only problem I've had. Some black powdercoating will sort that out.

I went with the chinese levers for ~$50 deliverd because there aren't any aftermarket levers made to suit my bike, but I had been told that the MC is the same as early model R6's, & it turns out it is, but I wasn't keen on spending $300 odd incase they didn't work.

So, for $90 ($50 levers, $40 R6 clutch perch from wreckers), a result.

Hasn't broken yet, I've had the rear off the deck under braking.