Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

eBay brake discs

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Vertical C, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Anyone used any of these brake discs that are being sold on eBay.

I have some rust on the inner of my rotor, not sure if I want to be bothered cleaning it up or just going the replacement.

2. :-s Cleaning rust off cost $2 and take as many minutes. Why buy new disks unless they're worn? Also you're link doesn't work.

I haven't had any but probably wouldn't risk it. I'd go for reputable aftermarket.
  3. If it's a "Metal Gear" brand, I have been told, they are pretty good for their price. Going to get one for my Suzuki Across when money allows.
  4. Metal Gear is great. Dont listen to the old cynics "everything from china is bad"...China has pumped up the quality significantly.
  5. Thanks for the replies.

What would you suggest for cleaning. Google just says to use them but the rust is in the inner rather than the face where the pads touch.

I attacked it with a wire brush but just got scratches.

The ones I was looking at were metal gear but they are $70 so if I can do it for $2 that would be better.
  6. Unbolt it, wire brush attachment on the drill.

Give it a coat of Killrust paint in your choice of colour, jobs done.

You can paint the whole rotor if you're lazy, the pads will take the paint of the braking surface when you put it all back together, just make sure you get it all off before you need to rely on it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mate your overthinking this one. Wipe down with vinegar, scrub with steel wool. Done. If the vinegar doesn't work get a chemical rust remover and repeat.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Buy a new bike,you know you want one
  9. Cheers the vinegar is a good idea. It's only the rear and not a show bike so I don't need a perfect job.

I am having fun fixing my RGV at the moment, I have had shiny new bikes and I don't want to touch them as I will make them worse. I can be confident that I will make the RGV better.
  10. Funnily enough, I bought some MetalGears off eBay just the other day - picked them up, staff (all female) were very friendly and knew what they were talking about. Took them home, took me about thirty minutes to change both sets, dropped right into place.

Organic compound feels softer than the stock, but not sure if it's just because they haven't fully bedded in yet. Would recommend, and buy from again though, $30 for front and rear is awesome.
  11. #12 Vertical C, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  12. Were they hot?

You're slipping.
  13. No probs. Vinegar eats surface rust for breakfast. If it doesn't work, you've only wasted a few minutes and some basic household items. In saying that, it's always worked for me...:D
  14. Depends - how desperate are you? :p
  15. Married, but post pics anyway :)