Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Easy way to Combine Video with GPS

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Roy Boy, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Hi guys, a few mates of mine have been cobbling together a site that's turning out to be quite cool, especially if you're of the racing mind :cool:

It's called www.veogeo.com, what it lets you do is basically record video on any device, digital camera, camcorder whatever (as a guide, anything that will spit out a format that will let you upload to youtube or a similar kind of site - the best size is around 10 minutes), and pair it up with a GPS track (it also assumes you have a gps which can actually log tracks, ie. the garmin etrex series), AND you'll need to be able to pull the track off the GPS in a .gpx format (which is quite standard for GPS data).

But you pretty much just turn on your gps, start the camera recording, and hiho silver away!

What you get at the end of creating an activity is the video you recorded, sync-ed with your position on a map, with speed and altitude telemetry.

There are a couple of activites people have created there so far, but I'm guessing this one will be of most immediate interest to you guys hehe:

Let me know what you think, and by all means sign up and have a play! There aren't any bike examples up there yet, but I'm going to do a recording mid-september on a group ride which I'm going to put up there, so stay tuned :grin:
  2. Oh I can see the racer poser boys now all proving just how fast they can do the spur.
    Speed up the vid a little, drop the time stamps down on the GPS Trace a little and Whoa.. Rossi is my Biatch (Even if I ride a 250)
  3. How accurate is the gps? Forget the video, but would you be able to setup waypoints for a dozen or so split times around a track. Be a lot cheaper than purchasing a whole bunch of IR receivers for your lap timer.
  4. That usually depends on the GPS receiver you have, generally the highest resolution they go to is once per second.
  5. I had a play last weekend and went around mt cootha, here's one to check out

My GPS had a bit of a brain fart at the end hence the weird pointy bits at the end of the track, but you get the idea :)

This one didn't sync too good but I think that's cause my GPS is on it's last legs, usually it's perfect.