Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Eastern FWY Pool lane - safe to ride?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by SR071, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Is it legal for bikes without pillions to use the car pool lane on the SE FWY?

Same for the Tulla?

2. I have been told yes but that was not an official announcement.

Car pool lanes are designated to encourage people to think about removing congestion by not having extra cars with one occupant on the road. Motorbikes fall into the spirit of this as they reduce congestion by their very nature. As it was explained to me, it is not even necessary to have a pillion. Since the alternative would no doubt involve lane splitting I think that the authorities would be happier having riders use the Car Pool lanes.

But I stress again, this was not an official announcement (and should not be taken as a current and accurate interpretation of road laws and by laws etc etc etc :wink: )

Anyone know the RTA view on this?
  3. You can use the Eastern Freeway Transit Lane one up on a bike. No issue. Take note of the signs, it even tells you that.

Technically you cannot on the Tullamarine fwy, I drove in it all the time when I wasnt supposed to. Not that i'm telling people to do it.
    I took the risk and if caught would have worn it with a smile.
  4. As an L plater I can't carry a pillion so which law do I break by using these lanes? hypotheical cause I don't use those fwy's when the restrictions apply usually!
  5. Dont need a pillion, just yourself (one up)
  6. Yep, it's fine to use the transit lane on the Eastern Freeway without a pillion - only cars need to carry more than one passenger. I used to ride on it every day to work, no issue at all - and much faster than the other lanes. Just beware of a) cars using it illegally, ie. with only the driver inside, and b) those drivers who think "woohoo, I'll use the transit lane because I have a passenger!" and then clog it up by driving at 80kph... :x :x :x
  7. What I was trying to get you to understand is that you can use it one up or 2 up on a bike, as per the signs.
    A car is a different story, you need to have at least one passenger in order to use it. That one passenger could be a toddler sitting in the back seat in a capsule.
  8. Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll ride past the copper with my head high now....