Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

East link tunnel

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Kawasakiboy, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Hey everyone,
    So I finally took my Kawasaki on the freeway, eastern freeway to be precise.
    I have never taken my bike nor any other bike on a freeway or highway before so I felt very satisfied to have accomplished this and I look forward to doing it again.
    This probably won't be very valuable information to experienced riders but for anyone else that's at the same level as me.. My bike did get pushed around a lot while on the free way. I felt as if I was in a battle to keep it straight and also when you go through the east link tunnels and you pass under those turbine things it gives your bike a bit of a throw around.
    If anyone can maybe give me some tips on riding on freeways that would be awesome.
    Thanks!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. The key is to try and stay relaxed, easier said than done though when your new. Grip the tank with your knees, and try to relax the hands. If you try to 'fight' the bike, you'll tend to make things worse. Keep practicing freeway riding (like anything else) is probably the key to becoming more comfortable.

FWIW, I've never noticed the turbines in the tunnels.. Tunnel riding is generally the easiest of any higher speed riding, as there's no wind at all in those things.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Yes just relax, look where you want to go, you'll automatically correct for any wind gusts etc.

I would add that the tunnel turbines don't really do anything, probably just felt like it as first time in there on a bike it's all loud, dark, lights are different, and there will be some air movement from the traffic as well. Just relax and you'll be fine.
  4. Eastlink heading south is usually quite windy, never really noticed it on the eastern tho

Tunnel etiquette dictates you drop it 2 cogs at the bottom of the hill and pin it as soon as you clear the cameras (earlier if you have an open convertible beside you)
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lol that has been know to happen.....
  6. Ugh, Eastlink tunnels are hot, smelly and have random gusts of wind. I don't think its those big fans, just the gusts come more pronounced with more still air around. Apparently some bikes perform better in wind with reinforced forks, mine has been much better with a fork brace. Generally, I find that relaxing helps prevent over correcting against wind buffeting.
    I always try and stick to outside lane on freeways so I don't have to watch out for idiots freaking out when they are about to miss their exit.
    Best to know where the fixed speed cameras are.... some people overreact when the remember at the last minute and really jam on the brakes.
    When traffic increases it slows down near on-ramps, corners, accidents, accidents on the the other side of the road, speed cameras and cars...