Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ease the parents into the idea :P

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Jimmyboy91, Jul 4, 2008.

1. hi
    i'm looking at buying a bike but the parents reallly don't lyk the idea to the point where if i bought one i think they might kick me out of the house lol
    anyways what i thought i might do is buy a dirtbike (250cc) and just ease them into the idea .... though i don't really want 2 spend more than 1500 on it as as soon as i can i'll be going for my licence and buying a road bike
    anyways if anyone has any suggestions about a decent bike for under 1500 i'd be very gratefull ...
    i was looking at the appollo bikes they seem 2 be going for about 1000 on ebay (but i'm bit worried that they may fall apart while riding)

2. "See Mum - If you'd let me get the bike I really wanted instead of this dirt bike POS I would've got something much more reliable and safer!"
  3. hahahaha gold
  4. My opinion would be that getting a dirt bike will not ease parents into the idea at all. Seeing you hooning around the place in the dirt is not going to inspire any parental confidence in your ability to exercise caution.

You might as well save your money and convince them some other way.

Having said that, if you really want a dirt bike I wouldn't go for those Apollo's. They have an incredibly limited warranty: 30 day Parts Only. And engine only. It's more for putting the kids on at the MX track. If it busts, you aren't crying about losing a few thousand on a good bike.
  5. Spend big $$ on gear, thats what convinced my folks. Look mum kevlar!

Put you jacket on your mum an start punching her in the shoulder armour or something. :)

The fact that i bought good gear and wore it, combined with the $$ saving by leaving the car in the garage swayed my folks. Also the fact i was 23 sorta gave me an edge.
    My folks were very anti motorbike(specially dirtbikes) when i was growing up.
  6. Instead of trying just to convince them to let you have a bike. Try to talk them into doing the L's course with you (or by themselves if you've already done it) either on a bike or scooter .

It will show them how you can ride to protect yourself and show that not all riders are hoons.

You never know they might actually enjoy it, buy a family bike and save you thousands.
  7. I think you should try the sensible approach. it worked for me

Show your parents that you are financially independent (able to pay bike, gear, rego, insurance, consumables etc, hospital bills etc [if need be]) yourself.

Prove to your parents over time that you can be responsible and trustworthy

Show your parents that you do not have a big ego , but a humble kid (they won't be so harsh on you buying a bike)

Slowly introduce the idea that you want to buy a motorcycle for commuting purposes etc, not a thing where you can show off to friends etc.

Good luck on your endeavour, hope everything goes well for you

8. It was easy for me.... i left the country.... I guess i really should tell em about the bike :p :LOL:
  9. Deyago?
  10. My parents wish I had my bike just to show off to friends and not commute everyday. They’ve seen the death trap Sydney traffic has become.
    Just tell them it’s only for the weekend leisurely ride.
  11. Obviously don't buy the bike and then try to sell them the idea, that never seems to work. I managed to drag my parents over to the dark side, but they still see dirt bikes as being more dangerous (witch is fine cause i don't plan on getting one... soon).

If you don't want to spend much and want to slowly easy your parents, then you could try what i did. I bought a $600 relatively POS. Witch i then spent 2 months leisurely working away at it. Nothing major, just carb clean, change brake fluid, change coolant, fixed and sealed rusty/leaking fuel tank, changed lights and new indicators (witch should be arriving in the mail any day now). I reckon i spent about $800 on it and now i only have to pay for rego and I"m set. My mum is still in denial that I'm going to ride that on a daily basis any time now, but has accepted its there and its loud and not as safe as the car.
  12. See 4 psychiatrists and have a sister who will puncture your rear tyre then come back for advice. :)
  13. bahahahahahahahahaha, will that ever die down?
  14. hey all thanks for the advice if worse comes to worse i'll just have 2 wait till i'm 18 (only a couple of moths now )
    [/quote]See 4 psychiatrists and have a sister who will puncture your rear tyre then come back for advice. [/quote]

obviously there is some joke there ... i hope for your sake it was anyway lol
    anways either way i'll be riding within six months !!!!!
    i'll let you know when i am riding !
  15. If you're anything like most guy's aged 17 don't get a bike.... I know that sounds harsh but I'm a good driver and fairly sensible and yet aged 17 I couldn't help myself pushing the limits and had a few stacks. Friends of mine had worse, some died.
    If I was you I'd get a car and learn to drive well, don't crash, don't get speeding fines. After a couple of years you will be better prepared for the road and your parents might believe you can control your male self-destruct instincts :)
    I know that seems very negative but it might just save you from serious sh*t and family dramas.
  16. +1 Get a car and some road experience first.