Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Earth Hour

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Flipper, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Who is participating in this tonight?

Created to take a stand against the greatest threat our planet has ever faced, Earth Hour uses the simple action of turning off the lights for one hour to deliver a powerful message about the need for action on global warming.

About Earth Hour

On March 31 2007, for one hour, Sydney made a powerful statement about the greatest contributor to global warming – coal-fired electricity – by turning off its lights. Over 2.2 million Sydney residents and over 2,100 businesses switched off, leading to a 10.2% energy reduction across the city. What began as one city taking a stand against global warming caught the attention of the world.

In 2008, 24 global cities will participate in Earth Hour at 8pm on March 29. Earth Hour is the highlight of a major campaign to encourage businesses, communities and individuals to take the simple steps needed to cut their emissions on an ongoing basis. It is about simple changes that will collectively make a difference – from businesses turning off their lights when their offices are empty, to households turning off appliances rather than leaving them on standby.
  2. ill be drunk and probably just as content to be drunk in the dark as in the light, there is no friggen way for fridge is getting turned off but :LOL:
  3. prolly not.
  4. Kids had earth hour at school yesterday - no lights, fans, computers for the last hour of the day - lucky it wasn't hot!!!

We'll be doing it, only because the kids want to, but we never have unneeded lights on anyway, and all are compact fluro, so we already do our bit.

Will be nice to see a few more stars...
  5. Yes, start the brainwashing early with this crap-o-la
  6. Saving money on electricity bills isn't crap when you're on a single income with three kids, and if the Earth Hour spiel makes the kids turn the lights off, it makes it easier for me to save a few dollars a month.

Queenslanders would save up tp $74 million a year if we turned off appliances instead of leaving things like TV's on standby.

Pro-Pilot, IMO it's all good, just open to different interpretations as to why
  7. just becuase this country alone is sitting on over 1000years global supply of coal doesnt mean we should be in a rush to use it. :roll:
  8. +1

But replace fridge with music system of whatever club I'm in at the time

9. So you don't own anything made from metal then?

I forget the exact figure but the amount of power consumed in this country for the sole purpose of grinding rock to extract metals makes switching off a lightbulb laughingly insignificant (even more so given that only 1% of power consumed by grinding actually does anything useful).
    Then of course you've also got subsequent processing, the 2 aluminium smelters in Victoria for example account for 25% of the states power consumption. There's also the vast quantities of coal/gas/oil we export so other countries can burn it (often to manufacture items we then buy back).

Earth Hour is just a feeble attempt to appease the masses and make people feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Excessive consumerism is the real problem, but Governments like it when people spend money on crap they don't really need. - it's good for the economy.
  10. From the Sydney Morning Herald, that bastion of journalistic integrity, informed analysis, and objectivity? No. fcuking. Way. :shock:
  11. :? What's the SMH got to do with Earth Hour?
  12. The WWF and SMH are the two promoters of Earth Hour.
  13. one hour of powering down will save the earth. oh, and speed kills.
  14. Ahh I see.
    Certainly wouldn't think they'd ever encourage people to buy less either, wouldn't be good for business.
  15. earth hour? give me a break :jerk:
  16. wild assumption to follow.
    most people involved in earth hour, probably use fluorescent lights, be they mini or large (as surely they already have some form of committment to cutting down on power).
    it takes a couple hours worth of light power to "start up" a fluoro light.
    switching off, then switching on an hour later is going to consume MORE power, than if they were left on.
    hmm.....pro pilot?
    the joke is on them!
  17. Do you know what the actual figure is? ie. what a fluro's starter consumes when it fires the tube?

Anyway, when I'm at work tonight I'll keep an eye on the system, see if there is a need for offloading, or whether the price dies in the arse due to reduced demand, etc..

Certainly, when I looked at it last night the forecast by NEMMCO indicated a sharp drop in expected load for that period, so it will be interesting to see how spot on it is, and in the end, how many people actually take this seriously.

I wonder if any of the football stadiums with night matches will take part...

In the end it won't make any difference. Not really. We are dependant on coal for base load generation. We do not have the money to invest in cleaner technologies to replace existing base load plant. We do not like nuclear power so that option is out. And our total contribution to global warming, climate change, whatever you want to call it is insignificant. If we went totally green tomorrow the world's climate would continue on changing regardless.
  18. More like seconds than hours

Though those big gas discharge lamps used in gymnasiums, street lighting, football stadiums etc. would probably be a lot more.

Still be interesting to see what effect everyone turning everything back on at the same time might have on the grid.
  19. we won't be participating.
    Instead of turning off our lights in a feble attempt at saving the eath, then forgetting about it till next year, I've done something more proactive
    1) Changed our electricity plan to one that uses renewable sources of energy i/e wind farms
    2) replaced our light globes with power saving light globes.

in the long run, things like this have a bigger impact than turning off lights for 1 hour.

we won't even be home tonight anyway - going to visit the folks
  20. Earth hour? What about the other 8,764.81277 hours?