Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Human Potato, Jan 3, 2012.

1. I typically use the yellow foam earplugs you get from bunnings but I am sick of how they feel. Every time I get some wind buffeting my helmet they get pushed into my ears back and forth because they project out of my ears slightly and contact the inside of my helmet, even after I have cut them down a little. Anyway, I am looking for alternatives...

Has anyone used a pair of these :

I would love a set but the price is a bit steep at $45. Or does anyone have a cheaper DIY solution (blue tack doesnt count). I guess if they are fantastic I could sc**** the cash together.
  2. ](*,) you can't be using them correctly LOL

squish them into a cone shape before you put them in and they'll fit right in and NOT contact the helmet.
    I've been doing it for years and ont have probs =D>
    • Like Like x 2
  3. I do sqaush them as small as they go, and I jam them in as far as they'll go...and I have cut them down to half their original length. I guess I have really narrow ear passages which is why I am looking at the ones I linked to.

It's weird that "sc****d" got censored.
  4. funny you should ask, theres a mob in melb that ship them in from canberra, its one of those 'self mould' setups, you shove it in your ear and sets in a few minutes
  5. NAH don't squish 'em
    Roll them betwixt thumb and forefinger to form a cone shape, shove 'em in and wait for them to expand again :)
  6. Try this

7. Yup ^ WHS ^
  8. Never mind, bought some from Ebay from England for a third of the price, including postage.
  9. Bought what?

You definitely havent been using the cylindrical plugs right... or you have a head the size of a 5 yr old? Please post up pics. :)
  10. That's the way I used to do it before getting my Earmoulds.
    Foam ones work really well if fitted properly. Problem is, not many people do it correctly.
    Maybe they think they look like a dork doing it,,,Who cares, as long as it works!
  11. Cheese???
    • Like Like x 1
  12. $45 is a cheap price to protect your hearing. Get a set of earmoulds, worth every cent.
  13. I've heard nothing but good about ear moulds. But last time I looked the price was more like $300 than $45.

Personally, I like to listen to music and the earmold solution for that just doesn't work for me. I don't have the money to test it but there's no way I'm going to believe that the 'sound pipes' that earmolds use are as good as what professional musicians use and I don't want two curly sound pipes and an amp hanging off my head to get in the way.

But there is one in ear bud type that blocks as much noise as foam earplugs and gives you amazing quality music to boot if you want to listen to it. I've seen them mentioned a few times and with the exception of earmoulds I've tried them all. Etymotic ER-6, bit hard to find as I think they have been superseded now - not sure what the equivalent model is now. Believe me, you'll never use anything else if you actually want to listen to music while riding. No wind noise, don't have to turn them up to deafening levels to hear even subtle passages or nice rich bass.

At around $100 you'll never find anything better than Etymotic for noise reduction and great sounding music. You do have to carefully follow the instructions (which is where most people fail) and learn how to place them so they seal correctly or they will be very uncomfortable. There are some people who can't use them due to odd shaped ear canals but they come with several tips which work for the majority of people.

The added bonus to this is that my iPhone is my music source and I have TomTom on it as well. So I get warnings about speed cameras and GPS directions as well as the music. I'm also notified if a call comes in which is nice given I have to be available for some work issues. I just check next time I pull over.

As far as the OP comments I'd have to agree that it sounds most unusual that foam earplugs aren't working for you. That's a great vid someone else posted. Are you sure that you are fitting them correctly?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sorry, I meant $45 as mentioned by the OP in the original post. Earmoulds aren't $300, at least not when I got mine 2 years or so ago. I'm sure it was under $100 but I'd have to try and find the invoice. It might be $300 for the ones for music but certainly not the standard ones.
  15. That's actually a pretty good price, you should lash out.

In use the same earplugs as you (Bunnings), once installed right, they don't stick out past the ear itself. I use them for band practice, mowing the lawn, riding, etc. no problems whatsoever.

The trick is to give yourself a bit of lube, lick your fingertip, swish it around your ear a bit, roll the plug up & pop it in. Everything's better with lube.

Even Rossi does it :)

That said, the yellow ones from Bunnings are a little longer than normal, there are squishy orange ones that are shorter with a flared end, can't get them form Bunnings but most safety/workwear/hardware stores would have them.

Good luck!
  16. they're not. Simple as that. But don't you think that to expect professional studio type sound for your music while riding with vehicles and helmet wind noise is a touch unrealistic?
  17. Well, I didn't think it was a realistic expectation until I tried the Etymotics that's for sure. They really are that good. It's the difference for me of having music or not and they have really added a nice feature to long rides that I now wouldn't be without.

Yes, it sounds like bull. When I first read about them I didn't believe it. So much so that I did a year's trial of about 10 different kinds of ear buds of different shapes and quality. Finally concluded that music while riding wasn't for me as it was so poor in quality. Went back to ear plugs full time.

Then I started thinking about what others said about Etymotics. I was so skeptical that I made a proof of concept set by drilling a small hole down the centre of some earplugs and shoved my best ear buds (minus the ear bud part) down the hole. Went for a ride and it was much improved.

I then realised the issue is noise reduction. Yes, I'm a bit slow. Normal ear buds don't include noise reduction. And I'm not talking about noise cancellation which is an active technology that doesn't work well with the type of noise in a helmet at all. I'm talking passive noise reduction such as earplugs provide.

The Etymotics have a noise reduction rating of 1db greater than those orange foam ear plugs. So if you like the amount of noise reduction you get from foam earplugs you'll get virtually the same from Etymotics. But of course the Etymotics also offer music. And it's so much better than anything else you try you will be quite surprised. They don't work for everyone and you do have to learn how to get them sealed properly but like I said, it's the difference between enjoying music when riding and nothing as far as I'm concerned.

If having an earplug in your ear canal doesn't bother you I'd highly recommend the Etymotics as many other riders do. If you prefer not to have something in you ear canal I'd say go for the earmoulds, with or without music. They are very high quality and they are highly recommended by riders. The music option with them isn't to my likes but I'm sure it's quite good as well. The music version of earmoulds are much higher priced than Etymotics but if you don't want in-ear devices that's neither here nor there. I wouldn't let the price put you off as you get what you pay for and at the end of the day they are well worth the investment given the quality and how much use a rider will get out of them.

As always, YMMV.
  18. Fair enough, I'll take what you say as true but I'm not going to part with that kind of money just for quality sound while riding. My standard use headphones are fairly budget inner ear monitors so when riding I just use whatever fits best.
  19. Thanks for the tip on Etymotics guys, I Googled them and the ER-6i is definitely discontinued but the 4 series is available and looks comparable. I've been looking for a decent noise isolating set of earbuds (specifically for riding) for some time now and these fit the bill.

Cheers guys - boingk
  20. You can also look at the A-jays ones, they were available @ Harvey Norman discounted from $50 to $38 recently, key for motorcycle ridiing is the flat cord which minimises tangling and their small size which doesn't protrude from the ear, they also come with a fair selection of different sized tips. Sound quality is very good for a $50 canal phone with an emphasis on bass response