Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Early ZX6R/GSXR/YZF/CBR reliability?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by cossie, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Hello boys and girls :p

Looking for an upgrade to a 600 and I'm considering the usual suspects.

Looking at spending up to $6k. The bike will be used for 99% commuting (350-400 k's per week).

Are there any known problems with any of these bikes I should be wary of? ie gearbox or engine problems or anything equally horrid?

Looking at ZX6R, YZF600, GSXR600, CBR600 etc.
  2. They will all depend 100% on the treatment by previous owners. Buy whichever one you can find a nice clean tidy example of, that has had good service. None of these bikes have any major failings that would be the size of a pimple, compared to the mountain of damage a series of bad owners could have caused in that time.
  3. I can vouch for the reliability of early ZX6Rs, I clocked up 55000km through 400km a week commutes, and didnt have a problem,

I sold the bike earlier this year with 90000km and from what I hear, it is still going well,

With your budget you should have plenty of choice of mid to late 90s 600s

Personally I would stay away from the GSXR600, as their riding posiiton would be the least comfortable on your commute
  4. Had an early YZF - great solid bikes. CBR 600's of the same era were good too. Nothing wrong with the Gixxers of the time either, althoguh by far the most racetrack focussed.

ZX6R's didnt know much about other than the first ZX6R's were a weapon (outright power) compared to the other stuff in the era, but the Gixxers still outhandled them.