Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

early morns and v.late nights

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Atlas, Apr 28, 2007.

1. hi folks

dumb question, yet again

are the roads heaps more slippery thanks to the oncoming colder weather esp when riding in the very early mornings (4am) and very late night rides (12midnight and onwards)???

thanks in advance.
  2. probably. but if it is not wet, shold be ok
  3. its kinda after that 4am mark where things will get really dodgy, as it is the cold time of the day (just before the sun comes up), the fog sets in and the dew resides on the road, added to the fact visibilty is right next to sh!t house, it definately is not a good time to be out riding
  4. I found its very slipperyat 9 am yesterday on the back roads where there's almost no cars running on it and no sun.

Almost came off coz I wasnt careful enough. I was late for work so I just accel up to second gear withing 50 meters and in the next 50 i had to turn to another street I shift down, started to turn in and dump the clutch. The back stepped out straight away. Luckily it wasnt that fast and the back gain traction pretty quickly. It was my mistake to dump the clutch when I started the turn and without bliping the throtle(stupide me). It gave me a scare for the day.
  5. It's not so much the roads, but your tyres.
    The rubber compound has an optimum temperature that it works best at, and the colder they are, more than likely the worse they perform. Get some heat into them and they will improve, but since it's always coldest in the early hours, it's hard to keep enough warm enough.
    So... take it easy at that time of day.
  6. I thought this was going to be about the stupid people who sat up all night to watch the World Cup Cricket final :p :(.
  7. Speaking of poor visibility....
  8. The joke's on me; I was one of them :LOL:

To answer the main question, even if the road is dry in the early morning and late at night, the road temperature still means that the tyres may not ever get up to proper temperature. So great care is needed...