Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ear plugs?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by removed-6, Aug 14, 2006.

?
  1. My bikes not loud enough to annoy me..

100.0%
  2. YES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Got home from a couple of hours of fun yesterday and had a ringing in my ears from the music coming from the GSXR.

So who uses earplugs? Are there bike specific, or one's that are better than others? Please share.........

2. I use em for longer rides (>20Km)

Currently using EAR Classic Platinum (30Db reduction)

Comfortable & cheap (especially when they are workplace supplied :grin: )

3. I think that wind noise would be the main source of noise. At least, it is for me. Of course, if you ride a loud bike, it wouldn't help matters any.

I use EAR or Decidamp. They're cylindrical shaped and tend to compress and expand better than some of the tapered brands that are available.

Of course, this all may be an individual thing too, as no two ear canals (or far ones) are the same.

4. Not for me.

I love listening to my engine, and have grown very used to the level of noise around me.

I wouldn't mind listening to music while riding, but haven't invested in an MP3 player yet, and am not likely to in the near future due to finances.

5. use earplugs all the time now (got a bit freaked out after a hearing test showed my hearing is below average for my age from seeing gigs, riding etc).
    Found the orange howard leight ones found in good hardware/safety supply stores are the best, can't get them in bunnings from memory :?

[/url]

6. For all the toughies; when you've lost part of your hearing register, you won't get it back by STARTING to wear earplugs; it will be too late. Wear them now, for every trip, and save your hearing...

7. Its more the wind noise, my bikes very loud but thats hardly a problem, the sound shoots out the back.

I like these ones called Sparkplugs (no Im not sticking actual sparkplugs in my head) they compress really well even when hot, and dont seem to be airtight so theres no pressure buildup, which is a problem for me.

Ran out of them at the moment but grabbed a handfull of Earsoft brand. They are very soft and squishy but I find they swell up a bit big and give me sore ears after an hour, and can be a bit hard to get in properly (must have small ear holes), possibly in a smaller size they would be more comfortable. They also seem to vacume seal and I have to pull them out slow.

The cheap yellow cylinder ones are total crap.

Also tried the pink ones that flare out at the base, they are pretty ordinary and the fat base can be uncomfortable (got a good container with them though which I still use).

Try different types and find whats right for your ears :)

8. Sonja,
    my suggestion would be that next time your mobile phone contract runs out then get a new phone that can also store MP3's and then get some "earmold" headphones. They are custom made for your ears. They are expensive but maybe try and get them for a birthday or something, thats what i'm doing.

9. I would, except that I'm on Pre-paid :p

I'll keep it in mind for the future. My birthday's not too far off.

10. +1 for earmold with speakers = $200 - play via my phone and works a treat.

11. I wear Earmold earplugs for the shorter trips (any time I get on the bike, I have some ear protection) and longer trips I wear my Shure earphones with my iPod. They give excellent noise dampening and let me listen to my music without all the other noise, although I can still hear the bike. I wouldn't be without ear protection now.

Sonja, do your ears a favour and start wearing some. I never thought it was a problem for me, but I know I have lost a fair bit of my hearing.

12. I use Earmould plugs. They are very good but depend on the person doing the fitting to make sure they work as expected.

13. Depends on the bike. My Z was eerily quiet with my Nolan helmet on up to about 100 km/h, then wind noise. I didn't wear ear plugs commuting on that bike, no real need.
    On the GTR, I get significant wind noise down as low as 70 km/h, due to teh screen greating turbulence. So, around town I don't wear ear plugs, but if I wil be on teh bike for more than about 30 mins, or doing 70km/h plus, I definitely wear them. The GTR is extremely quiet as far as engine/exhaust noise goes though.
    Any brand will work, just like helmets though, use the ones you feel comfortable with. My fiancee brought some great ones home from work, they are tapered foam, very soft, but I don't know what brand, as they get them in bulk.
    As Paul said, hearing loss is insidious, it will be gone before you know it, and by then it's too late.
    If you get off teh bike and your ears ring, or your ears feel "full" or sort of as if they have had cotton wool stuffed into them, you have done damage.

Regards, Andrew.

14. i'm with the majority. either el-cheapo foam earplugs (haven't invested in the moulded ones yet) or mp3 for longer journeys. more to cut out some of the wind sound than the engine.

15. Have a look at https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3785

I listed some research articles there regarding noise and bikes. Of note is the first link. "However, when the sound levels exceed 100dB, your exposure time is reduced to two hours. When sound levels exceed 115dB, your exposure time is drastically reduced to 15 minutes". Some bikes and helmets will reach 115db when doing 100 km/hr... Exceeding this can (according to well established OHS research) lead to permanent threshold shift.

The cheap earplugs tend to attenuate the high and the low frequencies (soften those) while leaving the mid-range less effected. Wind noise (which is the main culprit) is high frequency noise. Thus the cheap yellow barrel type plugs do well. If you were doing regular long rides it may be wise to invest in more expensive ones too. Personally, I prefer the cheaper ones because while it attenuates the high and low frequencies, I can still hear other vehicles well enough.

16. I usually wear Earsoft Neon Regulars. Softest earplug material and have the best attenuation I hve found (NRR is like 34dBa).

Although at the moment I have some Moldex Sparkplugs. Not bad, but louder than the Neon Regs.

If you are having trouble getting them to fit and being painful, try another size. Go to BOC or Protecta safety and ask for Bilsom 303. They come in Large and small sizes and you /should/ be able to get the counter jumper to give you a few pairs on the sly to "try them".

James

17. Well me hearing is already shot (thanks to Chemotherapy) so it will be Plug all the time for me.

i think the ones for industrial applications should be good enough...asuming they are mildly comfortable :)

18. Hardware store deep reach high density foam ear plugs for silence.
    Used to use Sony EX71SL canalphones for the tunes but one of the cables snapped and i still havent got a replacement. Speaking of which... maybe i'll got get a replacement now.

19. Earmolds are outside my budget. The Peltor "notouch" earplugs can easily be modified to take a canalphone headset. At 29dB, they're not as silent as Earmolds, but a whole lot cheaper. Best of both worlds - music, plus good ambient noise reduction.

20. I tried earplugs for the first time when I rode down to the WSBK earlier in the year just to see if it made any diff.

I havent stopped wearing them since. Im only using the .80c foam ones from the chemist which work ok.. I found especially for longer rides 60mins+ im less fatigued with earplugs in..

If do find them a bit of a hassle as its an extra bit of kit you have to put on everytime you saddle up but it worth it at the end of the day..