Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ear plugs; best, quietest

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by pil, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Went for a long ride the other day without plugs and on my V twin with load pipe( dumb I know) and came back with sore ears. Now that I have seen the error of my ways I need some info on the best ear plugs cause after what Ive done I know I need the best to protect what I have left. If any of ya silly buggers like me dont ride with plugs take it from me the ringing that dont stop aint worth the small hassle of putting ya plugs in so DO IT. So bring on the info for the best plugs for ya mellon. Ta Paul

2. EARSoft Neon Blast earplugs have the highest Noise Reduction Rating of any disposable foam ear plug @ 34dB (from memory).

Otherwise the custom molded ones are the go! But they are expensive.

3. So are the hearing-aids that you may need later in life :)
  4. I have a set of these. they are fantastic and actually do as they say. $6.50 a pair. Blackwoods can order them for you. in Australia they are stocked by a mob called hearing tech. I highly recomend these.
  5. I just use cheap ones from B*nn*ngs. I figure the noise levels are notup at industrial levels, nd I only want to reduce the level, not block out all sound.

When I'm not using earplugs I use Sony in-ear earphones that block out a lot of noise but still let me hear traffic etc.
  6. Yeah like moike i only use a cheap pair although am looking to "upgrade". I mean I am sure better ear plugs will make my bike go faster. :grin:

But seriously those earmolds look like the way to go.
  7. Mm, most industry is around 85-90dB, and areas above 100dB usually require the wearing of both earmuffs AND earplugs.

Most modified bike mufflers are 90dB with baffles in, by comparison.

Fun thought, slightly offtopic - Workcover says you can be exposed to 85dB for an eight hour work day. The sound energy doubles for every 3dB, so you can be exposed to 88dB for 4 hours, 91dB for 2 hours...

... and that 108dB rock concert for about 1 minute and 30 seconds, if you're not wearing hearing protection. Something to think about. :)
  8. get ear putty or similar. It's nearly invisible in your ears and works well enough that i've worn it to clubs and stood ears against the speakers with no dramas when inserted correctly, and I have very sensitive hearing. It's alos the most comfortable of any plugs i've worn because it's soft. The only drawbacks are it not holding in your ear brilliantly unless you know how to insert it well; if you're a dunce, you can get it stuck inside your ear (say hi to a doctor to get it out...) and it's only re-useable so many times before it loses it's softness.
  9. Sorry what was that? You will have to speak up.
  10. maybe you need new pipes.
  11. I've been using the cheap ones from the chemist with the view of possible upgrade to something more flash down the track. But it turns out I keep losing the buggers! No, not when they're in my ears, silly - but once I take them out I just put them in the pocket of the jacket, then I fish in the pockets for the keys etc... and before I knew it, I went down from 3 pairs to one. At 95 cents a pair I can deal with that, but if they were 50 bucks+ Earmolds I'd not be happy!
    So I think I'll stick to the cheap ones. Most of my trips are too short and too slow to bother with earplugs anyway.
  12. I've used a variety of the disposable types with work and always liked the EAR Classic Platinums the best - with those you can stand next to extremely loud machinery yet still hear someone talking to you from a few metres away. On the bike you don't really want something that's going to block all sound - just reduce the sound of the engine.
  13. We have access to the EAR products and similar Decidamp plugs. I prefer the barrell shaped ones. The softer tapered plugs don't fit properly for me.

I have problems more with wind noise than engine noise or road noise. If you need plugs to overcome engine noise, then it may be about to explode on you!!

Loud exhausts can be an issue, though.
  14. Actually from what I've read it seems the problem is mainly the wind noise, not the engine. Unless you have extremely loud pipes, of course... but the point is, even people with quiet bikes benefit from earplugs. On the other hand, people doing slow city riding don't need to worry too much, because hopefully they don't experience that much wind noise.
  15. I have custom moulded ones and they are hopeless!!! :( Only alsmost as good as the poorest foam ones I've used.

So I'm still using the foam ones... :?
  16. That's the case for me. My bike is stock and is fairly quiet. Major noise source is from wind. My AGV is somewhat bad, particularly for whistling noise, which on a long ride can actually be fatiguing, as can be the case with any excessive noise.
  17. I work in a power station. The noise levels vary around the plant. For example some pumps have a noise level of around 109 dB(A), and around parts of the turbines, it gets up to around 120 dB(A).

I normally wear earplugs, but in some areas, it's recommended that we wear a class of ear muff that have much higher attenuation rates than "normal" earmuffs or ear plugs.

The pumps that have 108 db, earplugs should drop that back to around 75 db or thereabouts.

I've worn earplugs and muffs in some areas. I couldn't pick any difference. But that doesn't mean that the EPs aren't working to help the muffs. I s'pose if they stuck a decibel meter's mike in my ear then put the plugs in and muffs on, that'd probably tell. But I don't know if I can fit a mike into my ear...
  18. I wear disposable barrell shaped ones which are badged Wurth but are actually sold under licence from EAR (do that mob have the market cornered?).

I can't wear the mushroom shaped ones, just aren't comfortable.
  19. I lose stuff all the time, but I am yet to lose my Earmolds (had for one year) or my bike key (had for four years). They give you a little case to put your Earmolds in, which helps as well.

I have the trouble that my ear canals are quite small and disposable earplugs tend to hurt my ears and/or fall out, so Earmold were the go for me.

They are easy to clean and at $55 so far for one year (and still going strong), I think they were well worth the investment.