Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dyno reading for your Bike?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Sinner, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Just wondering if anyone has thrown their bikes on a dyno, and if so what was the reading?

2. yes,
    CBR600F4 with 50k kms and staintune slip on. 101BHP which I was pretty happy with.

3. Yup,

178 RWHP.

4. Graphs are much more interesting and informative than single numbers, if you have 'em.

5. yeah, what he said, where does the power come one and for how long? what about torque? got any? EH!? (i know i don't)

6. Dyno graphs are okay. I much prefer a graph that plots power/weight for each gear plotted against actual road speed. This type of graph tells you how hard a bike will actually accelerate, and it highlights that while some bike might have 180hp at the rear wheel, that a different bike with 70hp might actually be far better (and be making more usable power) at speeds below 160kph.

The gearbox is actually a torque converter by another name. Crankshaft torque doesn't mean as much as some would like to make out. That's why we have gearboxes. If we didn't have a gearbox then crankshaft torque would be critically important.

This is why it's important to plot vs road speed in each gear.

7. I got a reading of 163 but am hoping for a little more with a new air filter

8. The gypsy looking waman said something about an exciting life with travels to distant places and much money spent on fuel and tyres......

Raw dyno figures don't mean diddly squat, you need to compare with the same dyno in similar conditions. If you've had work done (on the same equipment), before and after runs to see any improvement. Then there are the different types of dyno......

9. Here is my chart '07 zx6r with two brothers slip-on and juice box...113rwhp
    Pq23zs2i.

10. Mm, pity there's no torque curve on that one.

(I'm well aware that Power is what accelerates, not Torque, but the torque curve clearly shows how efficiently the engine is breathing at a given rpm, and whether there are any spikes or lulls in the power delivery)

11. Was from a recent dyno day at Tex's and was the only print out we got sorry spots... :(

12. Yep, 207rwhp.

13. No worries. :)

My Tiger, for what it's worth. (Triumph OEM glasspack muffler and the matching ECU tune, intake restrictor removed)
    gx1kC_tA.

14. :shock: Thats huge....Definatly rear wheel? What's done to it? :twisted:

15. Getting a custom map now. Power I'm guessing anywhere 120-130rwhp. Only getting a custom map to get the FI as rideable as possible, looking for smooth and chunky midrange over outright power.

16. Wow, dig that flatness on the Tiger! Just keeps on surging pretty much anywhere in the rev range.

17. That's just on his pushie. Joel has huge legs :LOL:

18. Yeah!

Sadly, significant camshaft overlap means the engine is nowhere near as torquey once you approach 2000rpm and below.

19. Completely stock standard Triumph Daytona 675. 1200kms. Been sitting still at a wreckers for the last 15 months.

[​IMG]

20. umm - torque accelerates, not power. Power just determines for how long you keep up a certain acceleration.

power is also torque * engine speed, so a power plot tells you exactly what the torque plot looks like. If there are no spikes in the power, there are none in the torque. If the power plot rises linearly with engine speed, the torque curve is flat. That's all there is to dyno charts.