Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dyeing Leather

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by froggy, Jul 28, 2009.

1. I have black/white/blue alpinestars GP Plus jacket and Track pants.

Is there any way I can dye it all black, or is this not advisable?

(Not trying to be a colour co-ordinated poof, but the colour combo does not do any favours with the new bike and would look more of a tool riding than I feel asking this question)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[edit typo and pics]

2. whats it say on the little tags with washing instructions?

or u can just get over it. (had to say it, someone else will come along and HTFU)
  3. A leather work place in Sydney called Birdsall's has everything you need. Not sure where they're located, but Yellow Pages is your friend. I believe there is a bit of work involved, something like using a solvent to wash out the old colour, and re-dying.
  4. im jsut wondering if it will make the leather weaker....just for exposing it to more chemicals.... i mean it really is the layer between u and the road
  5. I think the leather will be fine, that's what it's made for. The stitching may be a different story.
  6. I was asking around for similar reasons and the Astar jacket was too good to not use any more.

There was a place in Melbourne that could do the jacket (black white and red -> all balck) for "around $100-$200.00" but couldn't guarantee the quality of the out come.

I bought a new jacket instead.

If you get it done and your happy with it, post up the details as i may still get it done at a later date.

7. I will make some calls tomorrow, but if that is the going rate it isn't worth it; either sell it, buy new stuff or have a cup of concrete.