Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

duty of care when servicing? bit long

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by xoraak, Nov 17, 2006.

1. hey all- I just had my vtr serviced at new world honda in berwick in preperation for sale (heads up peeps looking for a cheap vtr :) )...

thing is, I asked over the phone for a roadworthy at the same time, and also confirmed when I dropped it in.

Picked the bike up and they didn't do the freakin roadworthy! (not asked for they said :?)

I asked if they could write one up, service guy said the front brakes and tyre were not roadworthy, so they'd have to be fixed... I couldn't hang around coz of work.

question is this- are mechanics able to service a bike without fixing up roadworthy issues anyway? Shouldn't they have called me up to say 'x' and 'x' items need fixing, would you like us to do it?

I would have thought if there are issues which would cause the bike to fail a r/worthy, they would have to have informed me as it could be a safety issue.
  2. Xoraak -

Quite apart from Duty of Care, and even apart from Roadworthiness, I would have thought that at the very least, informing you of any work that was needed was just plain good business sense!

Pretty likely you'll shell out for the work/parts on the spot if it's a safety or roadworthy issue, wouldn't you say?

So, for business reasons alone you'd think they'd have let you know. (BTW, it wasn't written down in their service report by any chance, was it? Just thought I'd check...)

Bottom line is that if they're not even bright enough to up-sell you some required service/parts, they probably think that Duty of Care is a policeman who does part time work babysitting....

3. the service report had the discs and brakes as items to keep an eye on...
    All well and good telling me AFTER the service though.

also- I should add I've had nothing but good experience with new world in berwick up to this point. So this isn't a dealer bag out or anything like that.
  4. Seriously mate, if a mechanic is working on a particular item (that you have asked them to work on) then yes, they bloody well should let you know of any issues that need attention. Anything else is just negligence.
    To be fair, most of them do just this because it's in their interests to find more work to do.
    But realistically, customers just don't like having unpleasant surprises sprung on them, so there's a reasonable limit to how far many of them will go to look for trouble. (Others go WAY too far!).
    If getting it serviced included anything to do with brakes, they SHOULD have been on the phone to you. The tyre, well that's as much your responsibilty as theirs - it really depends on how far gone it is.
    As for not doing the RWC - just stoopid.
    I prefer a mechanic to tell me about immediate concerns before pickup, but to brief me on issues that are going to come up in the near future so I can prepare for it. That's what I get ATM.
  5. I'd suggest you check the disks yourself. Each disk should have stamped on it a "min thickness" amount. Track down a set of vernier callipers if you haven't got any and measure the thickness of the disks. This will be your most expensive item to replace and you don't want to do this unless you really have to.
    Brake pads have wear indicators, check them as well or get someone to show you how. You should be able to do this easily.
    Tyres also have wear indicators, check these as well.

Undersize pads and brakes still work but won't pass roadworthy. These are commonly picked up because it takes about 30 seconds for the mechanic to check. Worn tyres are easy to pick up as well.

As long as they have reported the items and brought them to your attention they have done their job. If the shop is busy they may not bring it up with you at the time they are working on it unless it prevents them completing the service. They sometimes don't have the time to spend another 30 minutes on a tyre and brake pad change.

Do the checks, figure out what must be done for RWC, book it back in and get the items done.
    If you are selling a learner bike, put a new tyre on if it needs it. If it is a big bike, point out that it needs a tyre for RWC and ask the buyer what they want put on it (factor this into your selling price). They may have a preference or want a matched new set. if you are trading it, don't spend another cent.
  6. Yeah, they SHOULD tell you...

I have trained my mechanics to do exactly that.........

Just brake pads is it? If they claim the disk is too thin, double check it...... Disks are frickin expensive....

Also, dont just buy a new one, you can get old ones re-fitted with a new disk and it is way cheaper than buying a new one.... by hundreds...
  7. sorry guys- I meant brake pads in the earlier post, not discs. :oops:

thanks for the responses though- good to know for the future :grin: