Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Duplicate my SIM??

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Feb 22, 2009.

1. I have a nice shiny new Samsung OMNIA phone which I am loth to take with me on the bike, (given my record at crashing :LOL:)

I also have my old Samsung Z540 phone.

My service providor tells me that I can't have two SIMS with the same number, one in each phone.

However I have seen so-called SIM-Duplicatrs advertised, and suspect that this might be an option.

So, do these (really cheap!!!) devices enable the cloning of a SIM card, and..

.. are they legal?

2. IIRC They duplicate the data on the SIM i.e. phone numbers and contacts.

3. Why don’t you just swap the sim card from one phone to the other? :-k

4. I don't think it's possible Paul. From what I know, and the quick research I did to confirm it, each SIM card has a unique International Mobile Subscriber Identity (IMSI), which your carrier assigns to your number. Those SIM-Duplicators only copy the data on the SIM, not the IMSI.
    And if you did find a device that did it, it wouldn't be legal :LOL:

5. chronic laziness :LOL:

6. P.S. How come you got an OMNIA? I thought iPhones were all the rage :p

7. Omnia does heaps of stuff the iPhone doesn't, plus it synchronises with my Outlook mail and contacts

+ I'm a Samsung addict

8. Hmmm... We both own '98 Hornets and Omnias....

9. #9 JP, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    I totally understand now Paul. I have to admit, that's pretty cool :LOL:.
    [media=youtube]QQlzX7EyIwU[/media]

10. Could you buy an el-cheapo prepaid SIM with another number, and tell your normal phone to divert to that one when you go out riding?

11. fantastic idea ktulu

12. I have the spare phone already, and several pre-paid sims from various phones I've bought: hmmmmm

13. This is the best option. You can only replicate the SIM data - anything beyond that is illegal.

Of course, the best and easiest option would be to get over that chronic laziness. Ot leave you phone at home when you're out riding unless it's really important that people be able to reach you...

14. or of course it could be important if you have an off. Be it one that leaves you on the road, or in a ditch beside it. Imagine being stuck out of eyesight without a phone :eek:

15. I have no-one who needs to contact me desperately, or vice versa, but I can't imagine going riding without a phone, and the means of contacting someone if something goes wrong.

16. Yep, that's a good point.

How did we ever manage before mobiles? It's hard to even remember what it was like!

17. Great idea Ktulu. :applause:

I was looking into this last year. I wanted to have the "builder's phone" to take onto work sites with me, as I didn't want to take my "fancy" phone with me when i was crawling in roofs or worming around under a house.
    All the phone companies told me that you couldn't have the same number on two phones.
    I never thought of doing that. :-k

18. Oh for the good old days when you could have a car phone and a portable (bag) phone. So long as both weren't on at the same time the same number could be shared on multiple phones.

SIM cards are allocated to a phone number and as mentioned technically (& legally) cant be copied.

19. I knew YOU'D know for definite, Paul :wink:.

20. you could just activate the crappy prepaid phone duplicate your numbers to it and take it riding for emergency calls only, and avoid call forwarding charges