Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dunning Kruger Effect

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Ljiljan, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Main Article: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning_kruger_effect

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to appreciate their mistakes.[1] The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their own abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority. This leads to the situation in which less competent people rate their own ability higher than more competent people. It also explains why actual competence may weaken self-confidence. Competent individuals falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. As Kruger and Dunning (1999) conclude, "Thus, the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others" (p. 1127). [2]

One has got to wonder how often this sort of thing appears in the riding world.
  2. What is the name of the effect where stupid people make bad decisions and come to wrong conclusions because they are fugging stupid? Oh that is right, reality, we must shield the population from it.

In all seriousness though I do buy into that theory and find it quite prevalent when the task, whatever it is, is a complex one. Good food for thought Lilley.
  3. There's another side that I feel is missing, the one where people start realising they actually know nothing and that other people definitely do know something, which they can learn from.

Consciously Incompetent I believe it's called.
  4. Whats it called when Sociologies invent terms for the bleeding obvious,got to be a PHd in that somewhere.
  5. Management.
  6. +1.

Although, while reading the article, the thought I had in my mind was late-teens female drivers who know they are bad drivers, are on their third car and not even off their P plates, and yet they make no conscious effort to improve their driving skills.

But hey its okay, daddy's girl could never been injured in a crash.
  7. =D>
  8. Very true.
    Reminds me of this:
  9. Well many of them don't know they're bad drivers. That's the point. They sharply and loudly criticise other drivers for doing things I think are perfectly reasonable and competent.
  10. Like leaving a manual car in gear when you park it...
  11. Ha ha, it sounds funny, but it actually is TRUE.=D>