Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dunlop Roadsmart Tyres - Anybody tried them yet?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Dougz, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Has anyone got a set of these? How are they? How do they perform in both the wet/dry?

I'm tossing up a set of these or the Pirelli Diablo Rosso's. I've used Dunlop before and have been very impressed with their feel/feedback, but the Rosso's are getting some great reviews too - I'm just concerned with the inch of slick rudder on each side of the rear. :shock:

2. The profile on the rear Rosso is very steep. Heck, I still had a few mm chicken strips on mine when I changed them out, while I had guys with Michelin Pilot Powers balling up rear that I was leaving behind. ie. By the time you reach that "slick" portion you're already over far enough to drag the knee. Basically you only begin to reach that slick portion at lean angles greater than 35 degrees. Next time you go for a wet ride, let me know if you're dragging the knee in the teeming rain, and then you can confidently state that the rear Rosso will let you down in the wet.
  3. +1 Stew.

But honestly mate, I can't understand why you'd put anything but the OEM bridgies on, those things felt absolutely superb to me. Why do you want to change?
  4. Point taken mate. :)
  5. They ARE great tyres Lozza, but I've had the front let go twice on me when pushing only reasonably hard. It was only my (limited) experience that saved me from going down. They just seem to take an age to get any real heat in them and at this time of year with the cold roads and low air temperature they just aren't cutting it for me especially with the amount of riding I do.

*edit* I do think that they'd be a great track tyre and so will be keeping them for that ;)
  6. [​IMG]

Heres a pic of my front anr rear :wink: they are good in the wet better than my m3s that i have run 5 sets of ,a little more work to tip in ,and just as good in the dry.Did a reefton run today and heres the result in the wet with bark everywhere :grin:And i normally hate dunlops as they seem to move around and squirm when on the limits.not these puppies
  7. How do you mean more work to tip in?
  8. Its only minimal as the m3 front has a steeper profile but its no big deal :grin: a mate also has these tyres on a zrx12 and he can certaily ride at a good pace being an ex racer,he also swears by these tyres
  9. Z just for the feeble minded, please point out for me what I should be looking for in the foties.
  10. Well seems he was interested in wet road tyre performance i thought these piccys would show that you can get some lean angle and use all of the tyre even in cold wet conditions :wink:
  11. I have nearly 8000km on my dunlop roadsmarts and I am quite happy with them. My comparison is mainly to Metzler m3's and Pilot Road 2's (which I could not get at the time). I really think they are better suited to a sports tourer than gsxrrrzx supersports, ie, if you live on the edge most of the time better to go for super sticky and forgo the extra mileage that the roadsmarts will give you.
  12. The profile does look fairly flat on them though - pretty much a touring profile with a slight sporting bent. Doesn't look like that the need a whole lot of lean to get close to their edge.

This is one of the things that are majorly wrong with people comparing chicken strips. There are tyres that you can reach the edge on in the wet at moderate lean angles, and there are tyres that you'll struggle to reach the edge even in the dry at the racetrack. It all depends on how steep the profile is.

Many of the touring/wet weather focused tyres have flatter profiles, and so you'll of course get near the edge of the tyre, even in the wet, and some people then think that this means that they must have better wet weather grip.

Go look and feel a set of race wets, and the compound is amazingly soft. If hard long-wearing compounds with tread to the edge helped racers in the wet, then that's what they'd be using. In reality though softer compounds do work better in the wet, and this is how they get away with lesser tread patterns. Race rain wets are basically a zero compromise solution though. Super-soft (as in almost like a pencil eraser soft) with masses of tread.

Overall, most tyre's ability in the wet tends to be more about confidence, and whether the rider believes that the tyres can do it, rather than whether or not they actually can. The less confident the rider is, the more they'll tense up, and the worse they'll make the bike behave. Many times I've seen riders do this (myself included) where the rider is really the major factor in the equation.
  13. Yeah as i said before the profile is different to m3s and yeah its easier to get to the edge on roadsmarts,but what i was looking for was more ks than m3s but with simular grip.I will know for sure about the ks later but i have it first hand that a mate who also used to run m3s,rennsports,conti attacks,pilot road 2s and just about most tyres that these tyres are good value :grin: and he has already clocked more ks on these than anything else plus hes no slouch :wink:As far as edge compound is concerned on a dry day giving them a bit of a push is really easy to see the softer edges working
  14. My old man had a set of the dunlops on his sprintST, had a thousand or so K's on them then went round the coast from Melbourne to Darwin (via QL) He said they wore really well, still had a thousand or so left in them when he changed them.

Wet grip was exellent as was dry grip, his sprint came with bridgestones and he had gone through a couple of sets before the dunlops.
    Says he wont put another set of bridgestones on it.

I dont personally know how they feel, but from his reports they seem like good tyres.