Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dumbass in a car

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Nour93, Mar 7, 2015.

1. haven't explored as much of this forum as idve liked otherwise I would have shared this sooner. as it is, it still makes my blood boil thinking about it and I want to share
    A few weeks ago I was travelling up plenty road, Vic at the part where the lanes merge from 3 to 2. it was peak hour traffic and Id normally just wait wherever I stop but I was over the traffic and thought f*#$ it! I should mention the light was red & everyone was stopped. I don't split lanes in moving traffic.
    anyway, I come to the front and stopped infront of a holden vx station wagon, im in the middle lane with a car on my left who is gonna need to merge and the station wagon behin and to my right, so my thought is "take off quick"
    the lights go green and I do just that, hitting the speed limit in 3 seconds only to realize that the idiot in the station wagon thought hed do the same, so I speed up and he does the same thing! the lanes have merged and this S!@#head is trying to run me off the road! i gun it hard to put some distance between my back fender and him and hes still trying! i quickly move across to the rght hand lane and slow down because the area is usually full of police and id rather have this moron in front of me where i can see him. he comes up next to me and as hes passing he swerves as if hes gonna hit me! i swear this idiot wanted me to stack the bike and get me killed!

2. About once a week I get someone in a car who wants to either race me away from the lights or stop me from filtering by closing the gap. I used to stress about it just as you have described, but now I just ignore it. If you filter you will be way ahead at the next lights so just take it easy. With the ones who try to block filtering, I just wait and an opportunity soon arises to pass them too without stress.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Funny the things we remember. We all probably pass hundreds of cars a day and a very small percentage are dumbasses. Almost all are pretty good although pretty oblivious to bikes. Many I find are really good and alter their driving to accommodate me on a bike. Bike riders in cars are best cos they make sure they explicitly look at you or wave to make sure you know they are aware. I know that riding a bike makes me more aware on the road and I specifically take notice and defer to bikes (probably because I am interested in the bike).

My wife reckons I am weird the way I always check out bikes on the road. But I haven't said that it is an extension from a natural male behaviour pattern to check out interesting things.

Everyone should start their driving life on a bike.

It makes better drivers.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. I haven't even got my Ls yet or ridden a bike yet but even just my interest in bikes has improved my driving. I think I was probably always more aware of bikes than some drivers but now if I see someone trying to filter next to me I move to one side of the lane slightly to make it easier. Whenever I hear a bike I'm never happy until I've spotted where it is.

Funny how our perceptions change with interest. It's like when you're looking at buying a certain type of car and you start seeing them everywhere lol.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I don't understand how a commodore can keep up with your and secondly if he was that far up with you I would have let him get in front. These idiots are much more dangerous behind you. At least if they are in front you have a chance of watching and avoiding them. Don't make it a race.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I didn't gun it that hard at first because I didn't think the commodore would be stupid enough to try & run me off the road despite being clearly infront of him, I couldn't let him infront of me because the lane ends quickly after the lights and I was in the left lane.

lol yea I know what you mean, most ARE good, I get waved at a lot by random people but this moron..
  7. Always take off fast as you can if they keep up then you can't tell the cop..."fcuking bullshit I was street racing, I demolished him, that wasn't a race
  8. Nour, never assume anything, mother of all evil!

Glad your alright mate, dont let it rattle you.
    Just take off at a swift pace, if there still going just drop back and filter past later.

Or buy a bigger bike and just go like batchit. Haha.
  9. Sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately morons will be morons, and I try to focus on what I can control over what I can't. I've personally come to the conclusion that if there's a moron on the road, I either want to leave him behind using vehicles in front. If that ain't possible - I'd prefer them in front - way in front where I can keep an eye on them, and control the distance between myself and them.
  10. yea so ive learnt..
    lol cant yet being on my L's but im trying to find what I can do besides a hypercharger to get more power out of my bike
  11. When you get to the front when filtering stay in the gap between the cars and don't move across in front of someone. It's just a psychological thing but the movement across makes idiots believe you've pushed in while staying in the middle makes it more like you're in your own lane.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. +1 on the middle

Plus this way if some pleb does hit the car infront of them, it wont push it in to the back of you and thus in to the intersection
  13. glue to pieces of black poly together and point it at him ...? .
    second thought no don't.

Seriously though,
    (1) act like that russian bloke, nikoli fucovski, and get out and gone, or
    (2) ease up, let them catch up and throw a spider through the window, errr let them go pass, and keep them in a place you can monitor them, until you have the opportunity to do #1.

Mind I once got a ticket for channelling nikoli(I selected the bike lane for my escape), the guy in the ute wasn't laughing 3 sets of lights later, when the copper caught up with him in the traffic lights(God bless tram tracks, and peak hour in brunswick).
    • Like Like x 1
  14. LOL that would've made him back off quick!